Final question on macro photography

I gave you one too, just to stop you whining. ;)

Your samples demonstrate nicely what has been said in text above; Tubes for short lenses & Raynox for long lenses, for maximum utility.

I know most folk are tempted by the greater magnification the DCR 250 offers over the DCR 150 but it can be a chalange to use hand-held when shooting insects. I offer here examples of a Sears 135/2.8 with a DCR 150 clipped on front. I think it is a nice combination for bugs.

We have here a ¼" long bolt next to a scale with 1/16" graduations. This 135mm/Raynox combo give us a working distance of 7" to 8" from the front of lens to subject.

1. Minimum focus, 7" to subject.

P1090264sm.jpg

2. Maximum focus, 8" to subject.

P1090266sm.jpg

135mm primes are very cheap on eBay (<$50) & Canon shooters can buy inexpensive adapters for most of them. Sorry, Nikon folk, not you.

I'll probably mainly be shooting on a tripod with a 55-300mm. Occasionally with a 35mm. Which would you recommend?

If you are looking to shoot moving bugs, a tripod is out of the question in most circumstances. In my samples above the field of view (FOV) is only about an inch across & would be less if I used a DCR 250. You would be hard pressed to keep a moving bug in frame with any lesser FOV hand holding.

I would say about 90% of my shots with the DCR-250 are handheld.. it does take some practice, but it can be done. I also almost always use flash when shooting macro, usually with a higher sync speed. This really does help to compensate for the magnification. I also take advantage of anything solid to brace against...whenever possible.

Ron is totally correct about the tripod... it is very difficult to find bugs that will hold still long enough for you to setup a 'pod and get a shot. It can work well for some... like setting up on some flowers that have high bee traffic.

Biggest thing with any of this is PRACTICE!

Most reactions

Back