Finally got into MF (almost)

joyride

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
cognizantcog.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I basically fell into a TLR the other day. It is an old Ciro-Flex, from my research I believe it is from the 50's. It is still in decent shape, however I need to get a new mirror for the viewing lens, and it could use a cleaning.

My question is, are the focusing screens always frosted? The image is very dark on mine, and Im not sure if it has just oxidized. If it is slightly frosted, is there a certain value? I dropped mine last night and chipped off a corner :angry1:(1/8" in, .75" up). I dont think it will really do anything, as it is fairly out of the way, but it would be nice if it was full.

fhj.jpg

Here you can see the chip
cghk.jpg

The glass has to be frosted or else you wouldn't have any image projecting onto it. It most likely just looks dim because you don't have a hood/prism.

Any idea on how much it has to be frosted? Is there any coating you can put onto regular glass to simulate the original piece?
I just got back from getting some glass cut. The image is fine now that I got a new mirror in there. Problem is that the new mirror is thicker than the old one, so I need to somehow cut it down slightly.

The camera is actually complete...i just had the top off of it to clean the focusing elements.

you could try a plastic focussing screen from something else, it would be easy to cut to size....still sounds a bit Heath Robinson tho..
Dunno how your gonna cut the mirror thinner, you ought to try get one the right thickness really, it could give you focussing errors.

That little corner chip shouldn't make a huge difference. And the frosted glass shouldn't make the image so dark you can't see anything...

Any idea on how much it has to be frosted? Is there any coating you can put onto regular glass to simulate the original piece?
I just got back from getting some glass cut. The image is fine now that I got a new mirror in there. Problem is that the new mirror is thicker than the old one, so I need to somehow cut it down slightly.

The camera is actually complete...i just had the top off of it to clean the focusing elements.

The mirror shouldn't be any thicker or thinner than the original mirror or otherwise you'll lose critical focusing ability. Find out the thickness of the original mirror and then google to see where you might be able to find some replacement or simply go here CLICK .

The frosted glass (focusing screen) can be bought on eBay for a few bucks. Just buy one for a 4x5 view camera and cut it down to the needed dimensions.

I did think of the thickness being an issue with focusing. The old mirror was a first surface mirror, but the one i got was under the glass. I used a thick paper to bring the mirror surface of the new glass up to where the original surface was. Im hoping it works out, and Im going to Chicago next week to give it a try.

Why go through all this work for a ciro-flex?

Most reactions

Back