Finding it hard to focus with a Nikkor 1.8 during live music shoots HELP!

Niz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I just recently got hold of a nikon d90 and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens and have shot a couple of gigs when i have got home i have noticed that the shots are a bit blurry and soft. I use the AF-C setting and try and focus on the subjects face but for some reason the camera doesn't like focusing on it for long and when i move to body the image seems to un focus again. When the band plays only 5 songs i dont really want to keep checking the LCD to make sure they are all in focus but when i do they seem ok on the view finder but when i get home to my dissapointment they are a bit soft. So i have a few questions.

Is it the AF-C setting thats causing this because im getting a quick flash when i try to focus but it doesn't want to seem to lock in on the subjects face and make that click to tell me its focused?
Would the 50mm f/1.8S be a more suitable lens for this camera?
Also what focusing system would you recommend for me to try, i have been using single point focus.

I have never really had this problem before but this is the first time i have owned a 50mm on a DSLR so any advice/help would be appreciated!

Cheers Ben

I don't know much about the difference between f1.8D and S. I shoot the D90 and mostly with the 50 on it. Opened up (such as shooting at night), it has a very shallow depth of field and will loose your focus very easily. In dark settings, the auto-focus doesn't work very well and the camera will not take a shot. In this case, choose a smaller aperture (if the light allows) to give you greater depth of field, then focus and switch the camera to manual focus so that the camera will allow you to shoot.

That's my limited experience. Hope it helps.

Niz said:
Hey guys,

I just recently got hold of a nikon d90 and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens and have shot a couple of gigs when i have got home i have noticed that the shots are a bit blurry and soft. I use the AF-C setting and try and focus on the subjects face but for some reason the camera doesn't like focusing on it for long and when i move to body the image seems to un focus again. When the band plays only 5 songs i dont really want to keep checking the LCD to make sure they are all in focus but when i do they seem ok on the view finder but when i get home to my dissapointment they are a bit soft. So i have a few questions.

Is it the AF-C setting thats causing this because im getting a quick flash when i try to focus but it doesn't want to seem to lock in on the subjects face and make that click to tell me its focused?
Would the 50mm f/1.8S be a more suitable lens for this camera?
Also what focusing system would you recommend for me to try, i have been using single point focus.

I have never really had this problem before but this is the first time i have owned a 50mm on a DSLR so any advice/help would be appreciated!

Cheers Ben

What aperture are you shooting at? If you are shooting around f/1.8 that could be the problem. The 50mm af-d is fine for your camera. The 50mm af-s has a focusing motor in the lens for cameras hat don't have a focusing motor in the body. The d90 has the motor in the body.

It could be your aperture or the way you are focusing. You should be focusing on the eyes instead of the face. Also DSLRs have an anti-aliasing filter so if you sharpen then in an editing program it might help but it won't fix an out of focus image.

If you are shooting at f/1.8 because of low light - try boosting your ISO to raise your aperture. The DOF is razor thin at f/1.8 that any slight focusing errors will be blatantly obvious.

I mainly shoot at around f/2 with 800-1200iso at a speed of about 125th as a starting guide and go from there. The singer i shoot is always close to the mic so focusing on the eyes is a big gamble cause the mic is there and it's hard to tell through the view finder which is in focus with a 50mm, its becoming quite frustrating. I mean some of the photos are turning out really well but a few really good ones have been a out of focus (Mic in focus) or a bit soft.

Can you post an example?

Manual focusing, dude. If you're shooting in smallish dark clubs, that's the only way I get through it. It's too dark for the camera to auto focus in that environment. SOMETIMES I get lucky and can auto focus if the lighting is adequate enough, but if it's not working I switch to manual focus and I can get the job done that way. Takes some practice, but it's doable.

Buy a flash. One, it's invaluable in situations like this. Two, even if you don't want the flash to contribute to the exposure, you can dial it down and still use the focus assist. Three, it will open up a whole new world of options.

The focus assist from an external flash is a lifesaver and can make or break a shot. Heck, sometimes I wish they sold just a hot-shoe mountable focus assist. It makes a world of difference.

I have a SB-600 so that could auto focus assist, i dont really know how to set it up for that though. I focus on the the singer and then try to re compose the photo and my camera brings the focus back onto the mic (Closest Object) for some reason.

I have a SB-600 so that could auto focus assist, i dont really know how to set it up for that though. I focus on the the singer and then try to re compose the photo and my camera brings the focus back onto the mic (Closest Object) for some reason.

You can't recompose a shot when your shooting at such a wide aperture because the DOF is razor thin. Once you recompose the camera, you're effectively moving the point of focus as well.

That is another reason that I tend to manual focus at shows most of the time rather than relying on auto focus.

When I shoot shows I rarely go above f/2.8, and by the time I get the musician framed with the proper AF point selected and depress the focus button, they've moved and are no longer in the tiny amount of space that would be in focus.

Righto ill try no lower then 2.8 for my next gig, Ill use manual focus and see how it goes. I just want to be able to be competent with a 50mm before a buy another lens. I'm enjoying the challenge but it get frustrating at times.

Why don't you try switching your focus to single point focus, and choosing which point to focus on instead of letting the camera pick the mike?

Increasingly difficult situations require proportionately greater skills. Skills and competency come with experience and practice. e.rose hit the nail on the head with her advice to start with manual focussing and practice. Auto focus systems are now capable of great things but with this increased functionality comes a requirement for greater understanding of their capabilities and limitations. This takes dedicated practice to master, a live gig where you are under pressure to produce in difficult situations is not the best place to attempt new techniques. Better off developing your skills when things are a bit less stressful.

Remember, experience is what you get when the result is not the expected outcome.

I totally agree with manual focusing. I'd suggest upgrading your focusing screen if possible, it makes a huge a difference. With practice and a decent screen, you can accurately visualize the position of the focal plane in the scene, and place it exactly where you want it. Autofocus is great a lot of the time, but when you're really pushing the equipment, there's no substitute for deciding on focus yourself. Accurately focusing manually at 1.8 or even 1.4 is totally possible with a little practice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back