Fireworks

I think focusing would be my biggest question going into it. I'm pretty comfortable with night exposures and the timing is something I'd just have to get used to... but as for focus, I use the 18-55 kit and a 55-250mm (which I don't plan on using for fireworks).. but neither one has an infinity indicator for the focus .. so what would be the best way/place to focus for a display like that?

See Hyperfocal. Set lens to 35mm and apperture at f/11 and then focus on something 15 feet away, then switch it to manual and point it to the sky. 50mm at f/16 focus at 17 feet.

See Hyperfocal. Set lens to 35mm and apperture at f/11 and then focus on something 15 feet away, then switch it to manual and point it to the sky. 50mm at f/16 focus at 17 feet.

Thanks Ron!

Cool, may just do that. Assuming nobody makes plans for me between now and then. Lol

Fireworks over downtown Pittsburgh

$IMG_1786a.jpg$IMG_1769.jpg

Last edited:
For focusing. I simply auto focused on the first burst and then set it to manual focus. Bulb, F8-13 ish, ISO 100, and mess with the shutter speed until you get the results you want. Mine ended up being about a 3 count.

Nah... Those other elements are not interesting at all... ;) /sarcasm/

Amazing photos, Buckster!
Thank you kindly! I really enjoyed seeing your Pittsburgh fireworks photos for that "other elements" aspect as well. Great job on those! I'd love to shoot the 4th from Mt. Washington! (I'd love to shoot a storm full of lightning from up there too, but that's another thread... ;))

Any tips on shooting fireworks video? I've researched and have conflicting ISO recommendations. There were recommendations for 125 to 1/60 frame rate, ISO 3200 and f/4 to use a lower ISO of 200 or 400. I am using a T4i and very unsure of ISO of 3200.

Most reactions

Back