First Attempt at Bird Photos - I've Gained new respect

Something about birds, they are so much fun to photograph, even when I don't get a signal keeper, it is still well worth it! :)

Something about birds, they are so much fun to photograph, even when I don't get a signal keeper, it is still well worth it! :)
I am guessing you meant single keeper not signal keeper

I personally do not use any techniques to try attracting wildlife to me ... I have seen "serious" photographers doing it with electronic call boxes strap to trees, or people feeding animals (either to attract them, or they actually think they need food) ... I don't think it is too harmful to make short calls (or pishing) to check for small birds, but do not constantly make calls as that could be disturbing. Feeding is the biggest human fault that will cause disruption, glad to hear you will not do it.

I will just repeat what was said already ... patience ... know your subject ... spend time ... patience ... know where your subject will go ... why they are there ... when they are there ... etc. etc ... and great that you are lucky enough to live very close to a great wildlife area (which is why the zombies get some great shots, otherwise they might as well just be portrait photographers :icon_compress:).

Had another go at it tonight.. took 220 photos over 3 hours and scouted a few spots. It's amazing to watch how the thousands of geese interact.. almost like fighter squadrons. There are estimated to be about 30,000 of them on the refuge presently, so they're literally everywhere. Here's a couple of my favorites:

1.) Pair of eagless. Heavy crop... couldn't get in closer as they're in the middle of a lake. Can't wait to get better shots of these guys in the future.
i-vWGT9jk-L.jpg

2.) .... Space geese? :p
i-W7f7Fqf-L.jpg

3.) Best BIF shot so far.. starting to catch on.
i-37VnF8X-L.jpg

4.) Take off
i-Tbf5Ktj-L.jpg

5.) Found this guy on the walk back.. Fading light.. iso 5000. Not sure what type of bird this is.
i-zM4jWsK-L.jpg

Last shot is a American Robin.A sign of spring on the way.Nice shots.

I thought that at first, but the colors seemed lighter than most Robins I've seen previously. Thanks for the ID!

Why do robins leave CT in winter? the ones here where i am (Ontario) stay during winter but are less common.

Nice set by the way destin.

Very nice set. I fine tuned my G2 on sat, and will hopefully be able to get out soon. It is very tough, but the reward is great when you get a difficult shot.

Very nice set. I fine tuned my G2 on sat, and will hopefully be able to get out soon. It is very tough, but the reward is great when you get a difficult shot.

I need to fine tune mine... but fine tuning such a long lens is hard because the DOF is so thin, and my tripod really doesn't do great with that much weight.

Most reactions

Back