First Attempt at Bird Photos - I've Gained new respect

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I bought a Tamron 150-600 G2 earlier this week to start learning bird photography... I've been out twice now for about an hour each time but I've been struggling quite a bit. Found some Canada Geese which are a dime a dozen this time of year, and what I believe to be a Golden Eagle.

Between learning to shoot with a lens that long, and trying to get close enough to the birds without scaring them off... this is going to be a massive learning curve. I've gained a new respect for many of our forum members, including but not limited to @zombiesniper @ZombiesniperJr @MSnowy and @coastalconn. You guys have any advice on how to get closer to the birds? Do you use a blind? Wear Camo? Just sit and wait? I guess I didn't realize how hard it would be, even with the 900mm equivalent on my D500. I've also got a TON of learning to do on bird identification and behavior.

Luckily, I live 5 miles from a very large and very active wildlife refuge so I've got plenty of opportunity to practice.

Here's a few of the "successful" shots so far. Some, especially the last one, are VERY heavy crops due to distance. The Geese are all shot from a photo blind, the eagle is from out in the open on a dirt road.

1.)
i-5fgJNKg-L.jpg

2.)
i-5ZkZJFB-L.jpg

3.)
i-r4kWM9W-L.jpg

4.)
i-Kw3VH6k-L.jpg

Very nice set.
That does appear to be a golden eagle. Jr does my ID's. lol
I'm honoured to be mentioned with the likes of @MSnowy and @coastalconn thank you.

You guys have any advice on how to get closer to the birds? Do you use a blind? Wear Camo? Just sit and wait?
I haven't used a blind but have thought about it. My only real problem with a blind is that I don't think I could sit in one long enough for them to be useful.
Camo on the other hand does seem to get you a little closer than without. Combined with the get there early and wait does prove to be quite effective.
Overall the best advice I could give is time. The more time you spend in an area the better. For you, it will give you the knowledge of what causes flight triggers in the birds you wish to shoot. It also gets the birds used to your presence so they tend not to see you as much of a threat.

coastalconn did an excellent writeup on this very subject so I'll just link to his thread.

Last edited:
coastalconn did an excellent writeup on this very subject so I'll just link to his thread.

Thank you! And... wow that really is a great write up. I'm pretty sure I've seen it once before but sort of skimmed over it because at the time it didn't really affect me. Lots of good info in there!

Wear a Fish suit

Pretty good start. I tried it but for me it's all about time, which I have so little of. I sold my Sigma 150-600, actually my Nikon system and starting over with Fujifilm. @coastalconn has some good video instruction on this, send him a PM for the links. I think the continuous auto focus tracking is gonna be your friend here so I assume getting it set up right will go a long way.

There are so many little aspects to it
For instance,
Going out a lot to the same place for the wildlife to get used to you
Knowing the birds normally jump off of branches etc going into the wind, so you want the wind to your back facing them.
Learning their favorite spots, fishing spots etc
And A LOT of time

Coastalconn . Has threads just search for them

Nice set. One of the most important things that you need to have when shooting birds is patience. Some times you'll get fortunate and can get a shot within a minute of arriving but usually it takes hours of sitting and waiting. Blinds work great and one of the best blinds will be your car/truck. It also really matters what and wear you shooting. Going to a public place that has lots of activity is usually easier to get a picture of birds as opposed to hiking 5 miles in the woods to find owls or eagles. Camo can help but staying still no matter what you're wearing is more important.

Nice set that looks to be a juvenile bald eagle to me not enough gold colour to the back of the eagle's head

Welcome to the world of wildlife photography.. :) No one ever said it was easy. I felt the same way you do when I started out. It takes a few years of practice, but you will get there. Besides the article I wrote there are some helpful tips in the Tamron video. If you haven't seen it, I can dig up the link...

Nice set that looks to be a juvenile bald eagle to me not enough gold colour to the back of the eagle's head

You might have to become my go to ID guy haha :p

But that makes sense. There are two known bald eagle nests in the area so it's common to see them.

But that makes sense. There are two known bald eagle nests in the area so it's common to see them.
I am glad to help with any ids i have a bird book i can look in and give out ids lucky to have bald eagle's being pretty common had one today and yesterday scare the heck out of flocks of ducks no pictures of them as they were to far away today was an adult yesterday was a juvenile

there are some helpful tips in the Tamron video. If you haven't seen it, I can dig up the link...
if you are talking about the video i am thinking of it is in your sig
LOL, I had a duh moment and forgot I put it there..

You can also download the Merlin app from Cornell labs, it will help with ID..

Welcome to the world of wildlife photography.. :) No one ever said it was easy. I felt the same way you do when I started out. It takes a few years of practice, but you will get there. Besides the article I wrote there are some helpful tips in the Tamron video. If you haven't seen it, I can dig up the link...

I ask this next question at the risk of sounding like an idiot:

Is it frowned upon or considered unethical to use bird calls to attract them? Would it even work? Does it disrupt the birds and local wildlife?

I know baiting is a no-go and wouldn't do it anyway, but some online sources report using bird calls to attract them with some success.

I ask this next question at the risk of sounding like an idiot:

Is it frowned upon or considered unethical to use bird calls to attract them? Would it even work? Does it disrupt the birds and local wildlife?

I know baiting is a no-go and wouldn't do it anyway, but some online sources report using bird calls to attract them with some success.
From what ive heard and seen it is sort of hit or miss i would not suggest it with the bald eagles if there is a nest around and during spring or summer i would suggest not to use any hawk eagle or owl call as it may stress out birds that hawks eagles and owls eat as they are most likely nesting at that time and they have enough stress as is

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back