First attempt at fashion photography

ceejtank

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok - so here's the deal. Last night a local hotel hosted a fashion thingy... I've never shot it before. I had to rely on the P setting a lot, which I really didn't like. But the lighting was harsh, there was no where to bounce the flash off of, and I left my diffuser hood at home.. I know.. stupid move. That being said, it went by pretty quick. I'm just starting to edit these, and I've only edited one shot so far, but figured I would ask for C&C since I'm starting the process and I could apply the critiques to the later shots instead of editing like 40 and then needing to re-do them all. I appreciate you guys taking the time to look. Be gentle.. it was my first time.. haha.. and I did't get paid for this, it's not for sale, not submitting it anywhere, this was just something new that I wanted to try, and am using as practice.

$8393059994_6287df4b99_b.jpg

Camera Model Canon EOS 7D
Shooting Mode Program AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/60
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1
ISO Speed 1000
Lens EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Focal Length 50.0mm
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
White Balance Mode Flash
AF area select mode Manual selection
Picture Style Portrait

Last edited:
Also - I know this shot seems KIND of blurry.. i had to have my ISO at like 1000, then when i noise reduced, it increased the fuzziness of it.. Once I nailed the settings down on later shots, I had the ISO down around 200/250, the sharpness vastly increased. I'll just throw that out there now. Also, its a little bright. Will knock it down a step or 2 since I shot in RAW.

Last edited:
Well it wasn't outside, so you could have bounced off the ceiling...

Yeah.. but it was at the liberty hotel in boston.. which is a renovated prison. The ceiling was over 100 feet up

Why did you use the 28-135 at 50mm and not the 50mm prime lens that you have?

Why did you use the 28-135 at 50mm and not the 50mm prime lens that you have?

There were 3 shooting places that i moved between the whole night. Needed to be able to adjust.

It doesn't appear to look blurry to me. The only thing I notice is the photo is a bit bright, and the model has "dear in the headlights" look. Her posing could be less awkward, but that is nothing you can control. :mrgreen: For your first attempt at photographing such an event should make you feel proud. Keep up the good work.

It doesn't appear to look blurry to me. The only thing I notice is the photo is a bit bright, and the model has "dear in the headlights" look. Her posing could be less awkward, but that is nothing you can control. :mrgreen: For your first attempt at photographing such an event should make you feel proud. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. I noticed the brightness afterwards too, I shot in raw so I was able to dial it back a bit to get it situated correct.

Thanks. I noticed the brightness afterwards too, I shot in raw so I was able to dial it back a bit to get it situated correct.

That's good. I'd love to see more of the edited ones. Seems like there was some nice dresses.

Flash-on-camera and aimed straight ahead looks like that...she's a lovely lookin' lady...

Flash-on-camera and aimed straight ahead looks like that...she's a lovely lookin' lady...

How do you account for the offset shadow? I'm guessing the OP's flash was hotshoe mounted, but was not the Main light source in this shot.

How do you account for the offset shadow? I'm guessing the OP's flash was hotshoe mounted, but was not the Main light source in this shot.

It was hotshoe mounted. I was with 5-6 of my professional photographer friends. One of them shoots for a fashion magazine.. another gets paid to travel and take pics.. both with 20-30 years experience(and really nice equipment). There was no "main" light. The photogs i was with said this is one of the more difficult locations to shoot because of no ceiling and no main lights set up. They remembered to bring a diffuser for their camera. Which would soften the shadows. I on the other hand forgot mine. But i think im going to get a gary fong diffuser for next time i try one of these. During tge summer theres a free show every thursday.. so i'll get lots of opportunities to practice.

Most reactions

Back