What's new

First attempt at Full Manual & Image editing

Blakie

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 16, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Hello everybody last weekend I went out determined to learn the manual mode of my camera, 'Nikon D5300' I think I did a relitivly good job! All are edited in lightroom :-) I am extremely new to photography also.... This is only the 2nd time I've used the camera lol!

Tell me what you guys think, I'm pretty sure I over saturated the colours. #4 is my favorite!

1.
_DSC0245_zpsd3e804b2.jpg


2.
_DSC0260_zps526b7252.jpg


3. I know its just a rock but something about it seems cool... To me :-)
_DSC0276_zpsf7ea6b8d.jpg


4.
_DSC0294_zps8aaa759c.jpg


5.
_DSC0302_zps50b65958.jpg


6.
_DSC0316_zps0b213e57.jpg


7.
_DSC0342_zpsbcacf812.jpg


And finally
7.
_DSC0343_zps84b70496.jpg
 
Welcome to TPF. Here's some pointers and I'm going to go ahead and make some changes to one of your photos so you can see. If that's a problem say so and I'll remove the altered photo. Some folks don't like others adjusting their images. It's a great way to learn however.

beach2_zpsc90b1190.jpg


You'll notice color and tone differences. First a note about your exposure: This was taken at ISO 100, 1/2000 sec and f/3.5. :encouragement: for the ISO 100. The f/3.5 however isn't ideal in this case and you'd have a better photo with a smaller aperture -- f/8 would have been nice. That would have required a drop in shutter speed but it would have made a negligible difference to go from 1/2000 to 1/700 sec.

Your camera was set to auto white balance. You'll get much better photos if you start taking control of white balance. I made an assumption that the sky over your half of the planet is the same color as it is here. I realize you're pretty close to China and then there's that ozone hole, but hopefully your sky is still blue. There's no other solid white balance reference in this photo but I've found that anchoring around an accurate sky color usually gets pretty close.

After adjusting the color I set a black point that the photo was missing and then adjusted the overall contrast. That's a nice shot.

Joe
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom