First attempt at Portrait Lighting - cc plz

It's still short lighting, though. Try one in broad light.

@D
I got to go read my books, but I thought broad lighting was lighting the face, head on.
It seems like the subject is pretty much facing the primary light source.
I shoot very little studio portrait, and get confused by some of the lighting terms. So I may be completely wrong.
Now to go look for my lighting books.

@sp
GOOD job.
I like the centered pendant, it is no longer a visual distraction.
BTW, I was taught by a portrait photographer, that we all think the big stuff (clothes, pose, etc), but it is the little stuff that will subtly detract from a good photo. And you have to have the eye to see and catch those small stuff. I wish I paid more attention to how he worked. He had a better eye for that stuff than I ever will.​
I like how the hair separates from the background.
This used to be a bug of mine. In black and white, dark brunette hair would blend into dark green plants. That was hard for us to plan for, as we had a hard time visualizing a color scene in B&W. I was burnt MANY times by this mistake.​

It's still short lighting, though. Try one in broad light.

@D
I got to go read my books, but I thought broad lighting was lighting the face, head on.
It seems like the subject is pretty much facing the primary light source.
I shoot very little studio portrait, and get confused by some of the lighting terms. So I may be completely wrong.
Now to go look for my lighting books.

@sp
GOOD job.
I like the centered pendant, it is no longer a visual distraction.
BTW, I was taught by a portrait photographer, that we all think the big stuff (clothes, pose, etc), but it is the little stuff that will subtly detract from a good photo. And you have to have the eye to see and catch those small stuff. I wish I paid more attention to how he worked. He had a better eye for that stuff than I ever will.​
I like how the hair separates from the background.
This used to be a bug of mine. In black and white, dark brunette hair would blend into dark green plants. That was hard for us to plan for, as we had a hard time visualizing a color scene in B&W. I was burnt MANY times by this mistake.​

Thanks for your comments. Going to have to pay more attention to detail so there'll be less to fix in post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back