first attempt at the 'Brenizer' method

jasonkip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonkip.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at the 'Brenizer method'. The idea is to use a longer lens and wide-open aperture to get a nice bokeh effect, and then stitch together multiple images so that the end result is an image that looks like it was taken with a wider angle lens but still has that bokeh effect. This image is made up of 12 shots taken with an 85mm 1.8 lens on a 1.6 crop sensor.

nycbokehpanorama.jpg

So it's like a panorama but with one main subject and a lot of bokeh? It looks great.

That's it! The guy named Brenizer uses this technique in his wedding photography with people as the subject. He said it's like having a really huge sensor in your camera. I saw a couple examples he did that use about 25 images, and I'm pretty sure he's already working with a full frame sensor and lenses with even larger apertures. I found a few videos on youtube where he explains it in a little more detail, but that's the gist of it. I definitely had one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments when I saw it.

Last edited:
Interesting, might have to use google on this to get a better idea of just how it is stitched etc.

Would the photoshop panorama stitching work for this? i might try it.

I saw him do that on Adorama TV just the other day. Great capture!

Nicely done! Like your choice of subjects also! :)

Thank you everyone. I did use Photoshop (CS4) for the stitching which Brenizer talked about in an interview with B&H. File>automate>photomerge and the reposition layout. I too saw this first on Adorama TV, and he did mention different software that he uses for stitching but I forget the name of it now.

What is 'bokeh effect'?

Ryan Brenizer has been making portraits with extremely shallow depth of field by stitching together multiple frames. He has some good videos and explanations on how to shoot these, but I've seen many questions on how to stitch them together, hopefully this helps.

Wow. I just looked up his website and many of his photos look like they were taken with a Lensbaby because of the wide angle and DoF

You wouldn't happen to have the same composition with a wide angle at the same aperture would you? I'd be interested to see the difference.

I think you did good. I saw his Adorama episode when it came out last week and he did shot it within just a few seconds, it's the post work what would take longer and also he didn't demonstrate on the video.

I guess there's no other way of simulating a medium format digital image cheaper than this. The next step, Pentax 645D which is what, 9-10K body only?!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back