What's new

First attempt at Water + Manual settings

Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
595
Reaction score
72
Location
Portland, OR
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I've been practicing the basics I've been swapping between AUTO modes and the S/A modes on my D5000 while relying on Auto Focus. Today I spent a few hours out and focused (hah) on manual focusing, and paying closer attention to setting my own aperture and shutter.

I also attempted at shooting flowing water for the first time, I'm happy with the results for a first go but am looking for any feedback on what I can improve or do differently!

#1:
4569738304_4d2fac0f3a_b.jpg


#2:
4569716468_1a2ec00e5c_b.jpg


#3:
4569712862_06d7fa0548_b.jpg


#4:
4569074547_5c4bf7d13f_b.jpg
 
awesome!
How do you set the camera for water like that?
I know you use a slower? shutter speed, is this correct?
 
For the water shots, I used a tripod with the following settings:

Lens: AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
VR: Off
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 55mm
Exposure Bias: 0 ev
Aperture: f/22
Shutter Speed: 1/3
 
the only one i don't like is the koi(sp?) pond shot. there are too many bubbles distracting you from the subject.
 
#3 & 4 are out of focus.

The first shot is pretty good. Did you use manual focus for #1?
 
Yeah, I was having some trouble with the focusing on the water shots.

#1 was Manual focus and Manual Mode, at f/10 and 1/320 shutter, ISO 200.
 
This was taken today as well, I'm trying to nail down my focusing issues, does this one look to be pretty good compared to the water shots as far as the focus goes?

4569707022_3ea098274a_b.jpg
 
That is definitely focused, and good color. Nice shot!
 
Might be a dumb question but which lens are you using for the macro shots? VR on or off?

ETA: Sorry didnt include any comments.. Macro shots look really great, both of them! Agree with the bubbles being a distraction in koi pic. Water flow pictures look pretty good, but there seems to be a bit of a glare that distracts me, esp pic 4. Would a polarizing filter help in that situation? Im asking bc I really have no clue it just sounds like that could help.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom