What's new

first attempt with light painting

scotts2014se

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
278
Reaction score
112
Location
kcmo
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$lightpaint1.webp
Any advice is appreciated.
 
I can't help, but I'm sure someone will...

bmp
 
This shot is not light painting as I understand it.
 
What I've always understood light painting to be is to use something like a flashlight or sparkler to create movement while shooting a long exposure. So you're either moving the light source or moving the camera during the exposure. Both usually aren't static.
 
It can be either, writing in the air with a light, or using the light to highlight certain areas in the dark. It differs from a long exposure with a light on as you can control the amount, and direction of the light during the exposure.
 
It can be either, writing in the air with a light, or using the light to highlight certain areas in the dark. It differs from a long exposure with a light on as you can control the amount, and direction of the light during the exposure.

But I don't see in this example what is highlighted by a light, other than the car lights itself which are stationary. or I'm missing something.
 
What I've always understood light painting to be is to use something like a flashlight or sparkler to create movement while shooting a long exposure. So you're either moving the light source or moving the camera during the exposure. Both usually aren't static.


so if you take a long exposure of an object, and shine a light over it to exposure it, what do you call it? light lighting?


this scene has been light lighted:

Roddisons Race Car - 2012 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
 
But I don't see in this example what is highlighted by a light, other than the car lights itself which are stationary. or I'm missing something.

it's obvious he shown a light on the front corner of the car to brigten it during a long exposure. It just wasn't incredibly sucessful.
 
Google "Harold Ross", he does beautiful light painting\sculpting.
 
Last edited:
$Gaming in the Dark 2.webp

This one I used the flashlight to highlight my son, for some some reason the game he was paying wasn't bright enough even at long exposures.


OP ...more light. Don't be afraid to walk around the car shining the light all over it, you won't come out in the picture, but try to keep the emitting end of the light covered from the cameras view because it will pick up that.
 
I know the lights of the car being on was obvious, but I thought the highlights of the rest of the car, for instance the wheels and the front were obvious also. With just the lights from the car, the detail of the rest of it would have been lost.
 
Last edited:
It is clean but its too dark. The light was chosen from wrong side. Some of the sides looking fine but some are not clear.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom