What's new

first attempt with light painting

Can you do a remote flash? One under the car would do a lot. Plus, with a diffuser and some colored gels, you could get some nice color effects.
 
Yes, you can.

I think light painting is done best, at least for automotive photography, where it's not a single exposure.

For example, before you pull the car in, you can light the scene how you want (no "1 under car"), roll the car in, then focus on lighting the car alone, trigger the flash wherever and how many times you want during an exposure.



This one was taken using multiple flashes on a long/multi exposure/s:

Roddisons Motorsport | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He had, what I assume was, a flash on a stand that he walked along the perimeter and triggered at evenly spaced spots. He has one shot in there series where he kept them in the final shot behind the car for effect:

Roddisons Motorsport | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

edit: lol, he's missing the rear half of the blue car, wonder if he noticed that.
 
Last edited:
Now this is what I was looking for! This is some great stuff and has the gears in my head turning. There will improvements on my second attempt. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Here's a light painting I did ages ago, lighted by a friend in total darkness with a bunch of #5 flash bulbs:

CARRS-23Nite13Oct92No24.jpg
 
This might have looked amazing with HDR.
 
Tried it on a smaller scale. I don't think I can get as much detail this way, but definitely getting the hang of it.
$92.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom