First Baby Pictures

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did 6 month pictures for some close friends. I have never done any, besides snapshots of my kids, so the experience was good. I have issues with both pictures but please feel free to critique bluntly.

1 $Tucker.jpg
2$Tucker1.jpg

#1 on camera flash has blasted all the life from his skin.
#2 the original crop makes the mother's bulk the more important than the baby.

$Tucker1lll.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Lew. I like your crop.

Little bit better smile and I had toned down the flash on this shot. PP wise I did warm it up a bit. Any better?
$Tucker3.jpg

this is nicely sharp but all the texture is gone from his right side and forehead. Too much flash, I think; baby skin is thin, except where it is chapped.

Tucker3llll.jpg~original

Roger that. I don't have any light modifiers yet except for a HUGE reflector which I couldn't hold for this because of the wind but I did order a softbox and a speedlite transmitter today. I know that equipment doesn't make the photographer but it certainly does help to achieve a particular look.

So with babies, less fill or go no flash at all? I can bring down the exposure in PP to bring out more detail but then all looks too dark.

I mean I have looked and looked at baby photos before this so I would try to get a good idea but I think I just flat out need more practice. It is certainly all a learning experience and appreciate your constructive feedback Lew.

I know I suck but I know there are some baby photogs out there that can help me out. Trying to learn here.

If you ever can't use the reflector, due to size, wind etc. I'd still try and shoot without flash, definitely without on-camera flash. You can even buy a white poster-board and use that (cut it down in size); It would be easier to hold and still produce a bit of reflection. It may have not been necessary at all. I shot an indoor newborn session, without sufficient lighting, or a flash, and was able to save the image in LR (thank goodness for RAW). It turned out to be one of the best images of the entire gallery. I could also recommend and on flash softbox, if you just really must use your flash on your camera. The off camera equipment you ordered will definitely help, too. I just really wouldn't use any of it, if you don't 100% need it. This is totally my own opinion... I am no pro.

Thanks for the tips.

I know there are some baby photogs out there that can help me out. Trying to learn here.

IMO, the less you try to 'set-up' the more natural the images will be. Just have fast lens on your camera and shoot a lot. The baby will get used to having the camera in its face and you will get the nice nuanced faces instead of the frozen faces and familiar poses of planned photography.

I know there are some baby photogs out there that can help me out. Trying to learn here.

IMO, the less you try to 'set-up' the more natural the images will be. Just have fast lens on your camera and shoot a lot. The baby will get used to having the camera in its face and you will get the nice nuanced faces instead of the frozen faces and familiar poses of planned photography.

Roger that. The 'candid' look which you're right is probably best for most all subjects. I have been killing faces with flash because I am afraid of harsh shadows on the face.

I think it's not only the candidness of the picture but the lack of surprise and fear of being photographed.

Great Stuff Lew. I always appreciate what you have to say either to myself or others.

If I can share (this thread is not overwhelmed with comments and it won't seem like hijacking), these pictures of two of my grandchildren who are very used to having me take pictures and so they don't even react to the camera being pointed at them. The light is clearly natural and soft but most of all the subjects are, as much as possible, unaffected by the camera.

p751595876-4.jpg

p888814135-4.jpg

Most reactions

Back