First big SLR purchase....which one?

PhotoMama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm making the move from point and shoot, to SLR, which one should I get? I've sort of narrowed it down to handful, what can you tell me about the ones I'm interested in? Good? Bad? OK?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...sem/rpsm/oid/156770/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Niko...75803/catOid/-16942/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Cano...59338/catOid/-16942/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Also, what lens should I be looking at to accompany any of these cameras? I believe they all come with a lens, but I would think the one that comes with them, is just a basic one. What is a good size lens to have for a photographer, just starting out?

go to your local circuit city and play with each one. then go online and get a better deal. I have an XTI and i love it. as far as features go they all look pretty identical.

the lens depends on what you plan to do. 18-55 is pretty good for a starter. itll give you a small amount of zoom and at 18 a nice wide angle shot.

I agree, get your hands on the different cameras and see which ones feel best to you. If you can get a good deal locally, do so...but don't be afraid to shop on-line. I recommend B&H or Adorama...both have links at the top of the page.

Pretty much all of the modern Digital SLR cameras are really good. You can't go wrong with the ones you have listed. Remember that you are buying into a system...so consider that as well. Look at the avaliable lenses and accesories.

May I make another suggestion? I'm also just making the jump to SLR, and I bought a Canon Rebel XT (the prior model to the XTi), body only, for $424 from Amazon, with free shipping. For a starter lens I purchase the Canon 50mm f/1.8 for $80. That puts me at a good starter set for around $500.

If you decide to go with the XTi, Amazon has better prices than Best Buy/Circuit City.

defintely hold them to see which feels best. The menus and button placement will be important down the road. I vote for the Canon, but either one would make a great camera.

I own a D40, and due to the lens limitations, I cannot recommend buying either it or a D40x to anybody who wants to take their photography seriously.

I would recommend looking at the D80 as Nikon's "low end" camera. It is a wonderful camera, and your photography will be able to grow with it much more than the D40/D40x series...

The fact that the D40/D40x series can only autofocus with lenses that are Nikon AF-S series or some of the Sigma line is a non-starter for me...

I purchased my D40 after my two D80's just to have a spare body around, and to shoot macro with my 105 VR, and while it does do a good job at that, it is very annoying that half the lenses I own won't work on it.

When you get ready to move up in lens, with the D40/D40x series you are looking at either buying an inexpensive telezoom of limited potential (the 55-200 VR) or spending a boatload of money on glass.

In the end, if you plan on owning a DSLR system, don't limit yourself from the start. If you don't plan on adding lenses, then there really isn't much of a point in buying a DSLR over some of the really good point and shoots out there.

I am going to post this elsewhere on its own thread, so people can debate on it, sorry if you read it there and it looks familiar.

My personal choice will be Canon rebel XTI it's just a great camera over all, but like everybody else said go hold them and then make your decision. Good Luck!

Another thing to keep in mind (please some one correct me if im wrong and i'll get rid of this post) i'm pretty sure canon makes all their parts (everything in the camera is made by them not being made by different companies and then all sent to them to be put together) could be another thing to consider.

Everyone is in concensus, try them out than decide. All basic features are the same, LCD, megapixels, frames per second, etc. But you have to be comfortable using them and navigating the menus etc. Otherwise you are just gonna hate it. Also keep in mind what you will eventually like to shoot later on down the road. Lens selections will be a big factor. I eventually chose Canon over Nikon for their larger range of telephoto lenses and the fact that the camera felt better in my hand and was more funtional for me. Food for thought.

May I make another suggestion? I'm also just making the jump to SLR, and I bought a Canon Rebel XT (the prior model to the XTi), body only, for $424 from Amazon, with free shipping. For a starter lens I purchase the Canon 50mm f/1.8 for $80. That puts me at a good starter set for around $500.

If you decide to go with the XTi, Amazon has better prices than Best Buy/Circuit City.

Just to point out that Popular Photography rated the Canon XT better overall that the Canon XTi.

skieur

Also if you really want to buy your camera from a "bricks-and-mortar" shop and not online try a camera store. While you think CC is going to give you the best buy (pun intended) I think you might be better trying a place like Ritz they are going to give you the kind of help you need. As has already been said go to a place like Ritz and hold the cameras and compare them side-by-side (and no tether at Ritz) and see wich one works best for you.

for a more budget option try the Pentax K10D

the lens range isn't great though, knowing from experience

but good to great lenese for canons are really expensive anyway

i read Sony isn't great and they dont have any lenes yet but are planning for much more

Most reactions

New Topics

Back