First Camera for Photos and Video

weezal657

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I have done a great deal of reaching into DSLR, Mirrorless, and Compact Cameras and I think I have about narrowed down what may be a good choice but figured I would get others opinion now. Ultimately what I am looking for is a great camera that I can use for vacations and baby pictures that shoots great photos as well as video, as well as something semi-new so it'll last a while as technology gets better. My initial price-point was about 600$ but thinking of increasing it a bit to ~800$.
What I initially thought about going with was a DSLR, but many people said that the video capabilities of them just are not as good, which lead me to compact cameras (which the wife said meh). So now I am looking more at the mirrorless cameras because they seem to have the ability of great photos w/ILC as well as does great video. Below is kinda what I narrowed down too:
Panasonic GX85 or Sony a6000
- I am leaning to the GX85 because its newer and does 4k video, but everyone still raves about the a6000(and the a6300/6500 are way out of the price range)
Canon Rebel T6i
- I know its a DSLR, but my wives friends all recommend that and I have to come back with a logical explanation on why I think that it isn't the right fit for us.
I'm open to any and all recommendations and suggestions. Also with the above as a starter I planned on getting the Olympic Digital 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens to offset the kit lens because of the cost and extra punch over the kit one. Is the starter kit lens worth the extra $100 or would it be better to just get the body and get a 12-32mm type lens? And which would be good for about that 100$ price range?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
A DSLR can take great video, it's just not easy to handle while you take that video. If it's on a tripod and the subject is not moving around it's fine. Try to zoom the lens while shooting video handheld and the picture goes all over the place....bad. Some, like the Nikon D5300, only do video using the rear display screen. Try to see that dang thing in the bright sun - good luck!!
If you're taking photos and an opportunity comes up to take a short bit of video the DSLR is good. Otherwise get a video camera.

A dedicated device for each would be preferred. DSLR for photos, and video camera for videos. Personally, I want to get the Canon Vixia R700 for video work, but I haven't done so yet. GoPro's are good too.

But my Nikon D75o does great video as well. Probably better than the R700... the difference is the D750 costs MSRP $2,300, and the R700 is closer to $300.

You can probably stay just about in your budget with a R700 and a Nikon D5300. Maybe a little over if you get an extra lens, like a 50mm prime (recommended).

Most reactions

Back