first concert shots

_tyler_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i'm pretty new to photography. last week i had an opportunity to shoot a concert. i got a few decent shots in my limited time. the only light source were colored LEDs (visible in the shots). basically i'm looking for C&C. lay it on me please.

lens: 50mm f/1.8 - yea it's not ideal but it's what i have :lol:

the rest of the EXIF is on each particular picture in the album.

thanks

Guitarist

EDIT: for some reason thumbnails aren't showing up for me. apologies for the link. i'll try to fix it.

Last edited:
It's because you don't have enough posts yet. I think it will let you after five.

@bent - thanks, that makes sense. didn't even think about that.

@M2 thanks! today was my first experience with lightroom. i uploaded a couple more at the following link Jamaica

i'll upload some more, but several are blurry/not worth keeping.

Not to be rude, but I don't think you have the equipment for that kind of venue (or your settings were used poorly). Almost all of the shots are too dark and they also have a lot of motion blur.

EDIT: It would appear you're using the 50mm? Guessing f/1.8? All of your shots were taken at f/3.5...which is a much smaller aperture than f/1.8. If you would have set it to f/1.8 you could have increased your shutter speed to 1/200 and still let in a *lot* more light than you did. Your shots would have been brighter *AND* you'd have no motion blur.

I tried taking some concert pics like that (first try), but I was farther away.

Pictures are here: Music | Cynic.me

I asked about them and got some feedback here:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...nd-taking-dead-kennedys-concert-pictures.html

And again more helpful feedback here:

Critique : Dead Kennedys Concert Pictures - What am I doing wrong? - Talk Photography

Someone pointed out a good tutorial on how to take pictures of live music here:

Talk Photography

The links are all about the same thing - live concert pictures. So hopefully they'll be helpful for you.

Anyways, I'll be much further ahead the next time I try. :)

Not rude at all. You're right, I don't have the equipment. I was just tagging along more for the experience (and a chance to use my new lens) than to get any great useable shots. But I'm here for advice, tips, learning.

thanks for the feedback on the photos though. i have a lot to play around with. hah.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back