First couple shots with off camera flash.

Skin's looking a bit plastic-y on that last one, and the straight on look with the hard-light nose shadow isn't flattering her. Neither is her belly hanging over the suit bottom and laying on top of her leg.

Yeah, I know. It was too windy to use the umbrella out in the water on a stand without an assistant to keep it from taking a plunge. So I used the speedlight with a GF light sphere. As to the other critiques...only so much I can do to hide here age. Not bad for a nearly 40 yr. old mom though I'd say :D.

Skin's looking a bit plastic-y on that last one, and the straight on look with the hard-light nose shadow isn't flattering her. Neither is her belly hanging over the suit bottom and laying on top of her leg.

Yeah, I know. It was too windy to use the umbrella out in the water on a stand without an assistant to keep it from taking a plunge. So I used the speedlight with a GF light sphere.
No fair trying to make excuses. It's your job as photographer to think of that stuff. Sandbags or milk jugs filled with water or your camera bag if heavy enough, a few bunjees or some clothesline, and your stand stays put.

As to the other critiques...only so much I can do to hide here age. Not bad for a nearly 40 yr. old mom though I'd say :D.
Again, no excuses allowed. It's your job as the photographer to position her in the most flattering way. She can't see it to correct from where she is, and it's not her job as the talent to do so. You're looking right at it as you compose, and it's your job to reposition her as needed to make her look her very best.

Yeah, I know. It was too windy to use the umbrella out in the water on a stand without an assistant to keep it from taking a plunge. So I used the speedlight with a GF light sphere.
No fair trying to make excuses. It's your job as photographer to think of that stuff. Sandbags or milk jugs filled with water or your camera bag if heavy enough, a few bunjees or some clothesline, and your stand stays put.

As to the other critiques...only so much I can do to hide here age. Not bad for a nearly 40 yr. old mom though I'd say :D.
Again, no excuses allowed. It's your job as the photographer to position her in the most flattering way. She can't see it to correct from where she is, and it's not her job as the talent to do so. You're looking right at it as you compose, and it's your job to reposition her as needed to make her look her very best.

I know you're right. Can I at least claim noob status? LOL :)

OK how's this one then? I know the eyes are a little dark. Can't be helped much she squints.

DSC_3021_3sm.jpg

Last edited:
thnx Buckster...for good tutorial....In film days it was difficult to judge lighting effect till getting the prints...Now the LCD gives the privilege to make as many corrections and shoots....next 'guru' is the PC or Laptop before uploading the images....Mirage_Man however did very best and I appreciate his patience.

Mirage_Man said:
OK how's this one then? I know the eyes are a little dark. Can't be helped much she squints.

This photo is really great! The bright red background, vibrant bikini top, and big smile really set a fun tone. The lighting looks good, and your wife even has a nice twinkle in her eyes. Well done!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back