First D40 pics, my sister and her horse.

JaimeC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I bought a Nikon D40 last week and these are my first pictures that I took. I've never used an SLR before either so they are also my first pics using an SLR. I'm having lots of fun with it, I'm hoping to get some pictures of my sister jumping today.

My sister Jessica and her horse Relyk, a 2000 16.2hh Andalusian x Thoroughbred gelding.

DSC_0188-1.jpg

DSC_0133-1.jpg

DSC_0361-1.jpg

My sister and her horse Aspen, a 2001 16hh Thoroughbred QH/Clyde gelding.

DSC_0063-1.jpg

DSC_0154-1.jpg

They are alright.. The sun was being a bit harsh. Shooting at a different time of day would be good.

I like the last picture, But would have been nice to have more of the horses face in the frame.

How are you finding the manual modes? The pics look ok, try shooting early in the day or late in the day you will see that it will make a big difference with the shadows on her face

correct - the sunlight was so high up in the sky when you did this, but overall your camera rocks! nice angles

The third photo is nice with your sister's eyes so blue and the horse's eyes so brown, both sparkling really. Congrats on the new camera and welcome to ThePhotoForum.

These are nice photos. I'm not certain about the one with the back of the head, but that could very well be personal preference. It just seems like such a beautiful woman and interesting animal should be looked at from in front. :)

Something to fool around next time you're in the midday sun is using your flash in the daytime. Sometimes the light from the sun combined with the light from your flash will get rid of shadows. It may or may not work, but its worth a try on a bright day when you're feeling all experimental. :)

BTW is this a race horse? I've never heard of someone owning a thoroughbred without racing it. But then again I know little to NOTHING about horses. I just think they're cool (I want an Appaloosa... cause they're all splotchy).

Thanks for the C & C everyone :). I was taking the pics in the afternoon, I know not the best time to take them.

Senor Hound: No, neither of these horses are racehorses, they are both only 1/2 Thoroughbred. There are actually a lot of Thoroughbreds out there who don't race, they can make excellent jumpers or 3 day eventers.

Thanks again,

I have always found the D40's meter to be 2/3 of a stop too "hot". You might find it of use to try some shots with various exposure compensations to see which works the best for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back