First Daytime Time Lapse Attempt

astrostu

I shoot for the stars
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Well that took a long time. ;)

This is a sequence of 3133 photographs, taken from 11:41AM to 9:02PM. One shot every 10 seconds until the last 49 minutes, when it was 1 shot every 20 seconds. Aperture started at f/5.6, then I later went to f/3.2. Shutter speed from 1/800-sec to 15 sec. ISO from 100 to 400. With +2 EV processing on the last set, the illumination changed by a factor of 588,000 (if I did my math right?). These were processed so the color balance was all the same, and I think I need to change that in the future 'cause the clouds at the end are too yellow. The ~2 seconds of black-out are when I moved the camera, stupidly. Took about a day to process everything.

The video is at 24fps, meaning that for most of it, 1 second video = 4 minutes real-time. There are some obvious places for improvement, such as better transition between segments with different exposure values (most obvious just after sunset). And color towards the end. And a wider lens.

Otherwise, critiques? Thoughts? Any particular frame you want to see alone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only done a few of these, none which I consider very good, so don't take much of this to heart.

I would find a better foreground and concentrate less on the sky. With a partly cloudy day I seem to find more interest in what the shadows are doing than what the clouds are doing.

What are the rules with time lapse and adjusting settings? When I did one of my sunsets, I accidentally left the camera in aperture mode which ended up make everything look the same. Night became day since i was using a 1.8. Your sunset cam out pretty good using the settings that you did, imo. The storm at the end was a win.

You had a beautiful setting for timelapse. We lived in Colorado many years ago & your timelapse brings back memories. I've only just started doing these and used setting of about f/9, 1 sec shutter speed, every 3 seconds with a ND400 filter. The filter said 9 stops, but I am not sure if that is the actual result. Have you been to Timescapes.org site? Lots of tips there.

wow! that ending was spectacular!!!! I almost didn't make it to the end though, I'd maybe take out the first minute of the video, as it's a lot of the same.
awesome job

Thanks all. I personally disagree with H4X1MA, unless I had an active foreground (like a lake setting) and sped it up by a factor of several. Then you would see the shadows move. As-is, they move too slowly at 4 min = 1 sec to see anything interesting. And personally, I think the clouds are the most interesting part here. Again, unless the focus were on more a scenery thing.

CheryIL - Yes, I've been there a few times and it was last week that I finally decided to start trying. That's where I read the suggestion of a 10-sec cadence for slow-moving clouds.

afoto - Yeah, I think it does start to get a tad boring until about 1:45. Maybe cut out every-other frame or go at 48fps next time. Or just leave out the first minute, though after all that work you kinda want to show everything. ;)

Personally I think it could be speeded up a bit, or at least the first pasrt cut down. The end was awesome, except for the blackout as you mentioned - could you not just cut that part out?

did you have to shorten each picture in your editor or is there a thing that just chooses how long you want the video to be and it puts them all in the right shortness? That probably made no sense.

did you have to shorten each picture in your editor or is there a thing that just chooses how long you want the video to be and it puts them all in the right shortness? That probably made no sense.
I set the frame rate and I had a certain number of frames. So, setting it at 24 fps would give me twice the video length as 48 fps, as an example.

Most reactions

Back