First Family Photoshoot EVER.

fractionofasecond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First family photoshoot last weekend, looking for C&C. I had alot of fun and there son was full of energy! :) This was done inside there house (as requested), and will be used for their family Christmas card. Thanks for looking.

$Extra3.jpg$LittleMike2.JPG$LittleMike4.JPG$LittleMike6.JPG$LittleMike26.JPG

$LittleMike1.JPG

Last edited:
Yes I would have done that but it was pretty cold, and I don't own a backdrop (yet). Thanks for the advice.

Nothing wrong with having "home" as a setting, but it needs to not be so busy.
There's also somethign going on with his face, I don't know if he's technically overexposed, or if it's just reflections in his glasses, but it throws me off.
All in all, I think you've given them probably the best photos they've ever had and I'm sure the family will love them :)

You need to do some work on the backgrounds here before posting pictures.
If you can't make it less intrusive in the camera, fix it in post-processing.
The backgrounds are destroying the images.
Some of these are shot at f2.8 and iso 200 so you are sacrificing depth of field and some amount of image quality so parts of the faces in the trio are OOF.
Shoot at 800 and use a smaller aperture. You will have better definition.
Note the blanched areas on the face of the man in the first and compare that with the texture on his face in the third one.
This is fixable in the high res original.

In portraiture, the number 1 priority for me is looking for what would make a good background for the shot. That's a great starting point. If you're looking for good backgrounds, you'll also be mindful of distracting backgrounds.

Instead of a professional set, this feels like a "family member with his DSLR in the house" session.

Thanks for all the advice, I was using an external on camera flash, so I'm not sure how ISO 800 would do anything but decrease image quality?

Thanks for all the advice, I was using an external on camera flash, so I'm not sure how ISO 800 would do anything but decrease image quality?

Sorry, didn't read the exif closely enough.

Regardless, using f5.6 would give better definition, better dof.

Not using an on-camera flash would be the best course.

The_Traveler said:
Sorry, didn't read the exif closely enough.

Regardless, using f5.6 would give better definition, better dof.

Not using an on-camera flash would be the best course.

More dof but less bokeh and the backround would have been more busy? Btw I was bouncing the flash straight up on white ceilings.

To my novice eyes, i say it looks pretty good with bokeh but background needs to be clean a little bit

that last pic of the kid is screaming to become a meme, like: Wall Street baby broker, blah blah blah. . .

Also, dads shirt doesn't do it for me, it's shiny/iridescent, and every panel/fold is a different color. . ..might just be me, but it is distracting.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. They loved the pictures an apparently so did there friends in Facebook. Some of their friends asked who did the pictures so this could be a good start for me. I will be more aware of backrounds next time and I have now since set my camera to single spot autofocus which would explain some of the out of focus pictures. I appreciate the feedback and definitely have learned from this experience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back