First Flash attempts! Thanks Derrell!

doziergraphic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so I took Derrell's advice and bought the Adarama studio budget flash kit (2 flash 150w flashheads w/umbrellas and stands for $199) and have to say they definitely look good quality for the price.

I only used ONE flash w/umbrella for the two shots below. Can't wait to get a real model in between them!

These were my first two subjects - the first is straight out of the camera with NO post-production, I realize it's a bit crooked, but just thought I'd like to post the first session after assembling the lights.

The second (watch) is a bit off on the white balance, even though I hit it in pp - didn't spend a lot of time with it. Lot of work to get things just right, but was very happy with my FIRST attempt at actual studio flash.

I'm stoked!

1 - straight out of camera, no pp. I'm sure the colors will pop a lot more with a little pp - but it's about learning the flash right now.

__flashflowers.jpg

2. adjust white balance, but didn't get it right (imo). would've been better on the black backdrop, which i'll be trying later.

__flashwatch.jpg

Last edited:
hey someone else from indy. nice. i did my first lighting setup with a friends setup and its definatly allot of stuff to learn to get things how you want them. have fun learning your setup.

Hey, cool! Pretty good for your very first efforts with brand-spankin'-new stuff! Imagine where you'll be after say, six months!!! I look forward to hearing /seeing more from you in the future as you travel down the studio flash road!

Yes, that's the link. I put off the purchase for quite a while because I just didn't see how they could be really decent for $199, but includes model lamps, and the stands are pretty sturdy. Also got a $23 hotshoe trigger that I'm VERY glad I purchased. Works like a champ!

I also bought a single M320 with a softbox, but think I may have way more than I need for now. But I do have a three-light setup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back