First fruit shots ever.. :S

Rabieshund

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got inspired by a shot with apples so I thought I would shoot some fruit. Never done it before but it wasn't that complicated! I wanted wet fruit and pretty dark pictures to create a mood. Are they too dark? To get the wet look I simply splashed some water on the fruit.

17-40 f/4L
1/125 f/16 ISO-100

UPDATED! Fixed colors and contrast and some other stuff.

img01911loborah6.jpg

img02011loborza3.jpg

Rabieshund, nice try. But I want to add some critic if you dont mind.
I dont like the background color. It's too dark. All seems to be very dramatic and mysterious. Was it necessary?
However, I do like apples and I do like your photo =)

All best,
Arhy

agreed on the background, your background and your apples are tied together too close by the purplish tones. try a few background colors. see what you like best.

On my monitor, the second picture has really strange blotches of purple. I'm not sure if it's my monitor, or the picture. They are a bit boring if you ask me, and the wet look really doesn't add to the photo. Just not doing it for me.

Alright I'll take a look at the background. I think I will just lower the saturation rather than changing color.

Trenton Romulox: I don't know. I have never seen a "classical" shot with fruits that is exciting in any way. Feel free to name a few photographers who you find interesting so that I can see what it should look like.

Thanks for comments.

Feel free to name a few photographers who you find interesting so that I can see what it should look like.

Thanks for comments.

I belive you mean phruitographers.... :er:

Alright I have made some changes! Mostly color and contrast changes. What do you think?

The first one is definitely better. The second one still has blotches of purple for me, maybe it really is just my monitor, or yours. I don't know. The first one is definitely better though. I'll be more specific for you, I don't like the lighting really. It's fruit, it should be bright and vibrant. This isn't rotten fruit. This is ripe, wet fruit, beautiful for eating. Yet, that beauty is being submersed in darkness. Maybe this selective lighting would work better for me if it was just one apple amidst other food, like light shining just on the apple screaming, 'I'm an apple, a wet, ripe apple, eat me." But the photos are just dark and possess too many shadows in my opinion. Like I said, this sort of shot should be bright, vibrant, well-lit rather than dark, shadowy, and unwelcoming. That's just my opinion though man, feel free to do as you wish. I'm just saying, if I was a client that for some reason wanted shots of fruit, I'd be unhappy. To each their own.

maybe he wasnt going for the typical fruit shot... it reminds me of an old still life painting

maybe he wasnt going for the typical fruit shot... it reminds me of an old still life painting

I'm not saying he was. And I'm not saying he should have. I'm simply saying why I don't like them. He asked me why, and I answered. I'm not going to base my opinion of a shot on what might have or might not have been his artistic vision, purpose, or goal.

umm.. fair enough, sorry if i misread your comment?

Shorty is spot on. I thought of this more like a classical portrait than something you would find in a grocery store adverstisement. It was not what I was aiming for. I have never been a fan of photos of food so I thought I'd try something a little different. If I had a client wanting a fruit photo for his store then it would of course not look like this. I'm not stupid, hehe. The first one is my favourite also, it is the planned shot. I just wanted to try a closeup too. I am not sure if I can see the purple spots as I'm half color blind. :S It's not seldom this happens just because I'm having a hard time seeing it!

Shorty is spot on. I thought of this more like a classical portrait than something you would find in a grocery store adverstisement. It was not what I was aiming for.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to unleash any sort of personal insult upon your Rabieshund, or Shorty. I was simply sharing my opinion on the picture and told you what I would have liked to see for this type of shot. You can go for whatever you want, you can aim for any type of shot, but if you post it, I will base all of my statements and critiques on what I would have liked to have seen and what I do and do not like about what I do see.

Of course, it's the right thing to do. Thanks for the comments!

All right, seriously, if I hurt your feelings or anything, that was certainly not my aim. I've actually really liked most of your work. You take some really great portraits, and I will probably be looking through any portraiture threads I create for comments by you. I can respect that you were trying to do something new with these shots of fruit, but they just didn't do it for me. I'm sure the next thread you start will possess images even I can enjoy. Keep on keepin' it fresh, Rabieshund.

Most reactions

Back