First Long Exposure -- Apollo Temple, Naxos, Greece

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Grabbed a 6 2/3 Stop ND filter just before my trip, just in case. Glad I did, I just wish I had more opportunity to use it.

After a 2-hour evening horse ride, we parked to head into the town for dinner and seized the opportunity to take a long-exposure of the sun settings behind the Apollo Temple.

DSC_9698 by Braineack, on Flickr

• ƒ/11.0
  • 70.0 mm
  • 13 sec
DSC_9700 by Braineack, on Flickr

• ƒ/16.0
  • 70.0 mm
  • 25 sec

I increased the exposure time to get a smoother sea, but I guess the waves were just too rough for the glass look.

BTS:

I setup the camera on my "platypod" and cheap ball-head. After seeing this shot in comparison, I wish I had done a shot from the Nikon just like this framing. I think this is much more interesting composition.

IMG_20180530_202823 by Braineack, on Flickr

Cell Phone caputre of what I saw from the car when I parked that prompted the shot.

IMG_20180530_201908 by Braineack, on Flickr

Nice sunset shots. How do you like the Platypod? Do you use it much? What is your typical use for it? I am just curious as I have bought one and haven't used it yet, although I can see some use for it in my landscape and flower photography.

WesternGuy

I basically bought it for this trip. When I traveled to Italy a couple years ago, there were many times I thought I could have used it in dark churches and other landscape shots, I didn't end up using it much on my trip, but I was glad that I had it anyway. Total investment was about $40 (i bought an off-brand off Amazon -- still very nice machine work on the aluminum)

The mount fits perfectly in the front zipper of the bag I brought on my trip, and the ball-head fit in the main compartment easy. I really didnt want to lug around more than I needed for 12 days, and certainly not a tripod. The only downside is if you really need a taller vantage point for the camera, youre at the mercy of what's around you -- this mount came with velcro straps that would allow you to mount it vertically against a pole.

I have a series of beach shore sunrise pictures I need to post where I used it again and I'm REALLY happy with the results.

I basically bought it for this trip. When I traveled to Italy a couple years ago, there were many times I thought I could have used it in dark churches and other landscape shots, I didn't end up using it much on my trip, but I was glad that I had it anyway. Total investment was about $40 (i bought an off-brand off Amazon -- still very nice machine work on the aluminum)

The mount fits perfectly in the front zipper of the bag I brought on my trip, and the ball-head fit in the main compartment easy. I really didnt want to lug around more than I needed for 12 days, and certainly not a tripod. The only downside is if you really need a taller vantage point for the camera, youre at the mercy of what's around you -- this mount came with velcro straps that would allow you to mount it vertically against a pole.

I have a series of beach shore sunrise pictures I need to post where I used it again and I'm REALLY happy with the results.

Thanks.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back