First Maternity Session

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the first maternity session I have done. I have a few more pictures I can post later if anyone is interested in seeing more. Thoughts please :)

Attachments

• $_DSC0185.jpg
    $_DSC0185.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 178
The first thing that strikes me is that this would really benefit from a crop to remove most of the empty space image left. Portraits often don't need to follow the "rule" of thirds, but neither should a single-person image be centred. I would also revisit your conversion process and try and increase the contrast slightly; there's a lack of pure white where there should be white. As with your other post, this one is very noisy (more so IMO, than your camera should be at ISO 400). On the plus, I think this is a nice pose, and good expression ('though I really dislike that "belly band of flowers", and you appear to have nailed the focus.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I have to say that I am not really a big fan of this image. As tirediron has mentioned the empty space, the belly band, which unfortunately draws the eyes to the stretch marks. I realize that stretch marks are all part of being pregnant, but as this is a photoshoot and some makeup can be used, in this case maybe using some would have helped. Her complexion doesn't look very good, and could also have used a little subtle touch up. The pose is nice, as is her expression.

Thanks for the feed back :) I'm noticing an issue with uploading my files (maybe) they are coming out extremely noisy here compared to what my screen shows from the files on my computer, sorry user malfunction somewhere :/ I was really happy with the pose and expression as well as her preference was to leave the stretch marks as she feels they are "tiger stripes" I liked the crop because of the angle of her chin and shoulders but I will definitely head back and revisit it to see if I can find a median :) She is naturally extremely pale but should I look a warming up the skin tones a bit anyways? I do have the shot without the band as well, she was really fun to work with

Some nice elements here, but the black top is really distracting IMO.

A viewer's eye is naturally drawn to the areas of greatest contrast. That's why we do things like High Key (light clothing and light background) and low key (dark clothing with dark background). The idea is to make the subject contrast with the rest of the image, to draw the viewer's eye.
In this case, you almost have a great high key image, her skirt blends well with the background, making her stand out (the tattoos would draw quite a bit, but that's OK)....but her dark top is just so dark and solid that it's, by far, the most contrasty thing in the photo, and thus draws the viewer's eye more than it should.

Just as a test (or maybe a fix). You could use Photoshop (or whatever program) and change the tone of just the top. I think that if you changed it to a very light grey, the image, as a whole, would look better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back