First Medium Film Processed!

CDG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so I am totally new to medium format photography. Thanks to the help of many on here, especially Dimitri, I am now able to proudly pronounce that I took my first 2 rolls of 120 film and had them processed. Rather than simply start into MF photography with a single camera, I thought, "why not three?". So I have a Spartus Full Vue as a representative of the bakelite era in cameras. Cheaply built it can still take some good photos (even if I can't). I own a RicohFlex IIIb, about the cheapest in the RicohFlex series. It also takes good pictures, thanks in part to the nearly flawless lenses on it. I also own an old FirstFlex, but not one of the Rollei type knockoffs unfortunately. I only recently got it going again, so the roll I shot with it is currently sitting in a camera bag. It's not as nice as the Ricoh as the lenses are imperfect, although theoretically the quality of the FirstFlex is about equal. That aside, let me share the best photos of what I shot, keeping in mind that I have not really sat down to properly clean up and crop all of these to the way I might want them.

The following are taken with the Spartus Full Vue- I was still figuring out the camera at the time, so there are a few exposure and focus issues in each shot I think:

SunsetatWickenburg-Spartus.jpg

^^Sunset taken from the backyard of my house

DeeDee-Spartus.jpg

^^ NOT a good dog! :lol: Dee Dee was a desert rescue. The picture was taken too close I think, but her face looks cute enough to make this a good snapshot keeper I think.

Now for the RicohFlex IIIb:

BicycleRack-RicohFlex.jpg

^^ First successful shot taken with the camera. The Sekonic 86 light meter does a good job for a cheapo rebuild from ebay. I like the shaddow under the bike, which is why I decided to show this one.

EngineeringBuildingNAU-RicohFlex.jpg

^^ Taken on a whim. My first attempt was double exposed. The double exposure I am not posting yet, but I think the double shot has potential too. I think this one might be my favorite. It looks better on the origional print (I'll have to do some work with the levels I think for Photoshop). This is the engineering building at Northern Arizona University (a short walk from my dorm).

FireHydrant-RicohFlex.jpg

^^ An attempt to see if the two lenses are in correct sync for focusing. It's tough for my eyes to get used to the viewing glass, and the small magnifier on the IIIb model is annoying for my poor eyes, but the focus is clearly quite sharp, as I think either the "8" or the bolts on the hydrant were supposed to be in focus. I like the depth of field in this shot (f4)

StoneNose-Eye-Ricohflex.jpg

^^ A unique stone sculpture with hard water deposits. I didn't clean this one up really, but I did do some doctoring to try and get my feel back for Photoshop again. Most of you probably can tell right away, but can you tell what I did, besides adjust the levels? :confused:

OK, anyway that concludes my minature art exhibition. Criticisms are welcome as long as you aren't too critical. The purpose of both rolls was to figure out how each camera worked, if my light meter worked, and if any of the cameras had any light leaks. To this end, the rolls were both astounding successes. I think some of these shots are pleasing enough to be worth sharing.

To those of you who shoot only 35mm, you should know that I too was in that situation a few weeks ago. It's really cool to shoot ancient old cameras and amazing how well the shots come out. Plus, I've had more conversations and comments about using the old TLRs, so it's fun in that regard too.

Chris, you've got some nice picture makers, brother! Ricohflex is a great camera. Now, onto the pictures... I really like the last picture and the three above that, all B&W. Keep at it, you'll love MF even more, when you'll start shooting slides. Maybe I can tempt you to try Large Format on a trip to the Vulture Mine. I have three 4x5s now and lenses plenty. ;)

Wow I really like number 2. The dog seems to have so much emotion. Great job! ALthough, lots of them to be overexposed. Personally, I don't mind it and it may have been the look you wanted, but thats all can offer in the way of technical criticism.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back