First Photo My son, Please critic

kam*kuda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found that when I took pictures with the flash on my camera, it was never very flattering. I found an old Vivitar flash and a couple (really old) photo lamps that my father had.
I do not know the basics yet but I set up one light, added the flash and took a couple shots on manual.

Matt-tree.jpg

Can you please provide your feedback.

I have some thought but I would like to here your comments.

BTW, It was tough to have him move into any desired position. 4 years old are fun. LOL:lovey:

Well I think you've done well, but I would really like to see more of his face. Otherwise colour & composition are excellent and he stands out nicely from the background
PS his lips look blue?!

I like the candidness of the shot, he looks like he's up to something, being 4 year old devilish.

Well I think you've done well, but I would really like to see more of his face. Otherwise colour & composition are excellent and he stands out nicely from the background
PS his lips look blue?!

Typically with child portraits including more of the face is the preferred approach, however personally I like this photo... there is an air of mystery and I think it works. My suggestions would be to remove the blemish on his face and address what appears to be noise in the background. Otherwise a nice first attempt.

He He:D, Yeh he does look like he is up to something!!

Personally I would crop out the hoody! The Orange is a little distracting, but the look on his face is what makes the shot for me!

He He:D, Yeh he does look like he is up to something!!

He is always up to something. Thanks for the comments. They really really help.
The other issue I see is what looks dark circle under his (left) eye.

Is this because of the light I placed to his left, Should I have had it back further

In the snapshot, you see that he does not have this same issue.
DSC_0357.jpg

This one with the dog is so Cute! I do find a slight distraction with the open space in the shot [upper left] but I don't see any way you could fix that without ruining the whole shot. Really cute, gives a good sense of size.

I think the shadowiness in the photo contributed to the dark circles. It felt slightly shadowy on the face. Fortunately, you can fix that with pp (although I think your goal is how to do it right the first time). Where did you set up the light in relation to your sons face? and what settings did you use?

Something like this,
1/400
F 5.
On Manual setting. Matrix metering Focal length 150 mm
light.jpg

I do like both shots. They almost look like studio shots. The only thing that I think needs changing is the background; it seems sort of plain. If you don't have any way to change the background, try lightening it up a bit by shining a flash or other light on it.

For the first one, I think not showing all of his face works well. For the second one, it might have been better to have at least one color that stands out in the photograph; everything seems to blend together.

Thanks Great comments and ideas. So true for the second shot. Colorful pj's may have helped.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back