First photos and question

hsmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I have been shooting hundreds of pictures trying to learn the in's and out's of my new camera. I am studying the manual and reading Understanding Exposure, so here goes my first attempts. Feel free to tell me how to improve.

The first photo is one of many shots I took while my boys played in the water park. The camera was set to auto and I just kept shooting :)

2631270107_14f508a62b.jpg

For the second one, I'm trying the technique on page 15 of Understanding Exposure on using manual exposure. I set my camera to f/5.6 like it says, but it says to adjust shutter speed until the light meter indicates "correct". I have read my manual and I can' find where it talks about the light meter. Maybe it's called something else? So I just adjusted the shutter speed and took a few pictures. Comments appreciated! :)

2632099082_8831f2e0fe.jpg

the first one looks good, but you can always adjust the shutter speed to either freeze the water by making it smaller or widening the shutter speed will give it a sense of movement. the second one the exposure look pretty good, it could just be a LITTLE underexposed, but for not really knowing what your doing it looks great

Well, I have been shooting hundreds of pictures trying to learn the in's and out's of my new camera. I am studying the manual and reading Understanding Exposure, so here goes my first attempts. Feel free to tell me how to improve.

The first photo is one of many shots I took while my boys played in the water park. The camera was set to auto and I just kept shooting :)

2631270107_14f508a62b.jpg
Auto or not this is a great pic of two young boys having fun. Everybody can identify with that and pick up on the joy of these two kids. One thing you should think about, and this is a simplified version, but still, when you have moving subjects, or even a subject looking off to one direction or another, you always want to give them a place to go, or look. You should have cropped, or comped the images to have the boys in the right side of the frame, and the negative space set to the left.
For the second one, I'm trying the technique on page 15 of Understanding Exposure on using manual exposure. I set my camera to f/5.6 like it says, but it says to adjust shutter speed until the light meter indicates "correct". I have read my manual and I can' find where it talks about the light meter. Maybe it's called something else? So I just adjusted the shutter speed and took a few pictures. Comments appreciated! :)

2632099082_8831f2e0fe.jpg

This is a calssic fill flash situation. With such harsh back lighting you will always need the flash to fill in the details. Next time, when you have you setting diled in, before you take the shot, pop up your flash. If you are a good distance away from your supject, as you seem to be here, then the flash will simply fill in the forground and subject with light, while leaving the background as is.

Here is an example of that.

Hi hsmom

You mentioned you were reading Understand Exposure which is an awesome book. Adding to the excellent points already given, this is the classic bright background issue. The fill flash mentioned can fix as mentioned, however sometimes the fill flash doesn't work.

If you are using a DSLR with a pop up flash, many times the shadow from the lens or lens hood gets in the way and casts an icky shadow. So, since this is digital, take the shot with the flash. If there are any problems, try again by exposing for your subject, not the entire area. Just walk up to or zoom to your subject, lock in the exposure (consult your camera manual for this), then take the shot. The background will be very bright, but your subject will properly exposed. I personally like this look. So, try everything!

when you set you camera in manual metering mode, you need to decide which value is the most important. in the example you showed, you chose f5.6. then you dial in the shutter speed until the the little line is under the zero point in the bottom of the viewfinder. this may be a correct exposure or maynot, the correct exposure is the one that gives you the results you want.

there is no way to learn this without just practicing and using your camera.

as a beginner, you might want to use your aperture and /or shutter priotry modes until you feel more comfortable.

this will be your decision. Frankly when i learned to meter tooooooo many years ago, we only had a manual method and so it was really much easier in the long run to learn how to use the camera's function.

these days they will practically bake bread and make coffee, so keep your manual handy until you get a good feel for your tool. It really is only a tool and you control the functions.

it appears your off to a good start and with more practice those nunaces suggested in the other post will come easier and faster.

Just walk up to or zoom to your subject, lock in the exposure (consult your camera manual for this), then take the shot. The background will be very bright, but your subject will properly exposed. I personally like this look.

You enjoy the "look" of poorly exposed photos?

Wow.

Thanks for all the helpful comments! I'm going to put them to practice....although I may have to find some new subjects. My kids are getting tired of having their picture taken :lol: I'm going to make an attempt at fireworks tomorrow night.

Hello friends, am not a professional photographer by any means but the latest gadgets do attract me as I used to dream of being one pro in this field. Nevertheless let me come to my point. As I can see you people have perfectly analyzed pictures and also guiding others so that they can overcome their flaws. Even my connection is slow today which does not let me upload some of the pictures taken by me, it would have been better to have them for better clarification. I desire to make the photos into a canvas for the purpose of presenting someone. Being an amateur is this a good idea? Should I bestow the responsibility on professionals in this department.

Most reactions

Back