First photos with my new D5100 - C&C please

1) If you're going to do this shot this way, it needs to be perfectly centered, or completely off center. The 'kind of almost centered' look is disorienting. I would have also shot it at a lower exposure, to reduce the blown out portions, then borught up what I needed to bring up in post processing. If in doubt, shoot a little underexposed. It's easier to fix dark portions than blown out highlights. Also, I'd probably add a little contrast and saturation, as the main selling point of the image, in addition to the vanishing point and lack of people in a should be busy area is the colors, but they fall a little flat, IMHO.

2) Need more DOF, the front coco is out of focus slightly. also, you could use a little contrast and saturation. Not a lot more, but a little more.

3) Seems a little cool to me temperature wise. It also seems tilted int eh background, but that could just be the angle of the beach there. I like the composition a lot though. I'd have probably knocked the exposure down on this as well a bit, to get more vivid colors, and bring out detail in teh clouds, then brightened whatever needed to be brightened in post processing. You could also do with a little more contrast and saturation here, again, jsut a subtle amount would make it pop. The fort also needs to be sharpened at the turret a bit.

forthelp by franklinrabon, on Flickr

that's what I'd do to 3, though it was hard to do much with the source image, as opposed to the RAW file here.

fjrabon said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/franklinrabon/6421499759/
forthelp by franklinrabon, on Flickr

that's what I'd do to 3, though it was hard to do much with the source image, as opposed to the RAW file here.

One thing about this photos is that they were taken in the middle of the day and I haven't bought any filters yet. Do you think that with a UV filter this third picture would get better results?

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

fjrabon said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/franklinrabon/6421499759/forthelp by franklinrabon, on Flickrthat's what I'd do to 3, though it was hard to do much with the source image, as opposed to the RAW file here.
One thing about this photos is that they were taken in the middle of the day and I haven't bought any filters yet. Do you think that with a UV filter this third picture would get better results?Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum
UV filters don't actually do anything but protect the lens. A circular polarizing filter may have helped some, if you had a really good one. (CPLs are one filter you DO NOT want to cheap out on)

fjrabon said:
forthelp by franklinrabon, on Flickrthat's what I'd do to 3, though it was hard to do much with the source image, as opposed to the RAW file here.
One thing about this photos is that they were taken in the middle of the day and I haven't bought any filters yet. Do you think that with a UV filter this third picture would get better results?Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum
UV filters don't actually do anything but protect the lens. A circular polarizing filter may have helped some, if you had a really good one. (CPLs are one filter you DO NOT want to cheap out on)
Ok, i think i will order the Hoya Introductory Filter Kit that brings the UV, CPF and warming filters. The Hoya CPF should be a good one right?

Ok, i think i will order the Hoya Introductory Filter Kit that brings the UV, CPF and warming filters. The Hoya CPF should be a good one right?

yeah, they seem to have a good reputation.

I'm thinking about ordering this one for my wide angle: Amazon.com: Hoya 72mm Moose Peterson Warming Circular Polarizer Filter: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

yeah, they seem to have a good reputation.

I'm thinking about ordering this one for my wide angle: Amazon.com: Hoya 72mm Moose Peterson Warming Circular Polarizer Filter: Camera & Photo
Nice, thanks for all the feedback

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hoya filters that are labled MRC (Multi-Resistant Coating) are worth buying, but are more expensive.

Use the lens hood, not a UV filter. Unless you are in a situation where thee are high winds, blowing sand, sea spray etc, there is usually nothing a UV filter can 'protect' from.

Adding any kind of filter to the front of the lens should only be done when necessary, because adding a filter adds an air gap, and at least 2 new surfaces that can cause lens flare and loss of image contrast.

On the other hand, the lens hood minimizes lens flare, and promotes image contrast.

Most reactions

Back