First Portrait

jjvn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first portrait attempt, I know it's not the best portrait of all, but I really like it, I like the background, and I like the reflection on her eyes (or maybe I just like the model, I don't know)

100_1592.jpg

What do you think?

I'm no expert but I think the lighting on her forehead, cheak, nose and chin may be a smidge too hot. The coffee cup lid and partial hand are distracting, either show us all of it or crop it out. As I said though...I'm no expert. The expression on her face is really nice. Nice early portrait work.

I agree that the cup and hand have to go. Its not a bad photo but it needs some more cropping.

Edited photo
100_1592c.jpg

Hope it's better. I didn't croped it before because I just wanted to show it as it was. The cup was there because we were returning from lunch, the photo was taken at the office we work.

That looks better to me even if it is a total square, the hand and lid were not helpng it out before. Much better. The lighting is still a tad hot so you lose a bit of definition in her skin, maybe something to think about next time. otherwise it looks good.

I agree it's too hot at places and no one mentioned it's out of focus (usually you want to have the eye's dead sharp.. IMO)

Nice first shot!

This ought to be in the Weddings and Portraits Forum ... I shall move it over there. That is where all our experts on portrait photography get together more ;).

Nice model, I have to admit.
Nice that you refrained from using the on camera flash.
But now this particular photo has a bit of camera shake.
Doesn't make her smile any less attractive, mind!!! :D

I know it has a little camera shake, I just had to take the picture as fast as I could, she never posed for me before, and when I saw that smile I just pressed the shutter button and did't care much about the settings and the shake of the camera.
Thanks for the advice, I will pay more attention to exposure next time, and also find a better support for the camera.

Most reactions

Back