First Portraits

ajroder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
anthonyroderman.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are my first attempt at taking any kind of portraits. I've never shot people in any type of controlled situation before, so any C&C is more than welcome.

Marissa by ajroder, on Flickr

Marissa Sunset by ajroder, on Flickr

Here's the rest of the set: Marissa - a set on Flickr

Reviewing the photos afterwards, I do wish I had closed down the aperture a tad on a few of the closeups. I managed to focus on the eyes, but the rest of her face falls out of focus a little more than I would have liked.

I think these look pretty darn great, for firsts especially. The first two seem a little underexposed.. the bottom 2 not as much. What was your setup on these? The 3rd looks like flash created some pretty harsh shadows on her face.

Not too bad in terms of exposure. Mixing flash + low-brightness twilight like that is tricky--you did a good job of conveying that late time of day. She's really attractive, so that helps minimize some of the minor flaws.

I think these look pretty darn great, for firsts especially. The first two seem a little underexposed.. the bottom 2 not as much. What was your setup on these? The 3rd looks like flash created some pretty harsh shadows on her face.

Thanks.

I used a cheapo Yongnuo flash through a 43" white shoot-through umbrella. Triggered with Yongnuo wireless flash triggers (manual power). I used 1/4 and 1/2 CTOs on a couple of the shots. Camera was a Canon T2i with the 50mm f/1.8 or the 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (I used the 18-55 for a couple of just for fun shots, but I didn't post any of those on here.)

Agreed with the above c&c but I have a question. On #1, is it just me or is the face a little soft? That could be from the f/2.8.

$9085702437_0e559c1ab9_b.jpg

Agreed with the above c&c but I have a question. On #1, is it just me or is the face a little soft? That could be from the f/2.8.

Yes, but I also did a little negative clarity in LR. I was trying to soften the skin up. Too much?

I don't know if it's too much. My contacts are messing with me this afternoon. I noticed it was at 1/60 of a second, did you have the camera on a tripod?

I think on 1 it was the 2.8 maybe because her eye/forehead looks pretty sharp to me!

Thanks for the C&C guys!

No tripod. I was trying to bring some of the ambient back in, but I was running out of light fast. I don't have the steadiest hands in the world so that may have been a factor.

I do like that edit quite a bit, frommrstomommy. I may go play with the RAWs some more and try bumping up the exposure on some of the darker shots.

ajroder, it could be the processing, it could be the dof, or it could be camera shake. I don't know the answer, just pointing out the slow shutter and wide aperture has helped me out. Now when I use 2.8 or below or shutter speeds under 1/100, I am reminded that I have to be extra careful to get a good sharp shot.

Most reactions

Back