first post! beginner photographer looking for critiques

Your stuff is good especially with minimal editing. I'd keep it close to natural when you start going into editing your work, especially portrait and wedding. That will not go out of style when the clients look back at your work 10 years from now.

@Brian yeah that's really weird how the thumbnail looks completely different from the bigger image??? I see that you brought out some more of the detail in the sky, unfortunately I wasn't really able to capture any nice detail in the sky in my original picture, I really wish that the sky was prettier, but the weather was not the best on the day of the shoot, if I could grab a similar shot one of these days with a pretty blue sky with nice clouds that would be most ideal I think :)

@Robin I agree entirely, I hope that I don't develop a sort of over-reliance to post processing and use it as a crutch and become sloppier in the field, great point and duly noted :thumbup: Your wedding photography site looks great by the way, hopefully I can get some tips from you when I'm gearing up for my first wedding shoot somewhere down the line?:)

@Vtec Thanks for the encouragement! totally agree with you, timeless is the way to go!

View attachment 52422 $DSC_0297.jpg

Here is my version of a natural edit of this photo. I only spent a minute on it. Which is really all any post a photo should really need.

EDIT: argh, this preview looks weird too. must be too much info in the photo for it to handle... click on it to see the difference I did. let me know what you think. thanks hyeunny

Last edited:
@Brian it's still doing that thing where the thumbnail looks nothing like the enlarged version! but I see that you made it a tinge warmer when I fullscreen it, adds a bit of "sunkissed" vibe :thumbup:

We all edit things differently so here's my version of your picture with my edit. I'm a low contrast low saturation kind of person. Very minimal to keep it more natural...

edited.png

i think that the troubles that you're experiencing are caused by a wrong setting on your software... it's something like Color Profiles... could be that, you seem to have it on Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB and for final screen-viewing images I think sRGB would be the best option...

i think that the troubles that you're experiencing are caused by a wrong setting on your software... it's something like Color Profiles... could be that, you seem to have it on Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB and for final screen-viewing images I think sRGB would be the best option...

YUP! I was looking at my HD rendering and you're absolutely right. I was thinking the same thing and just saw your post. Makes sense now that you've confirmed it. Thank you!!!

No.. It's not color profile problem. Thumbnail version looks bad almost all the time here. I have seen SRGB looks bad on the thumbnail.

Honestly great stuff, I think your minimal edits are on point OP

As Robin said, there's a problem with preview thumbnails here. They almost always show the wrong colours so never judge an image by it's preview.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back