First Post - Page, AZ

Doug Solis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys, my first post with pics. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Just got back from a wonderful workshop with Arizona Highways to Page, AZ. We visited some classic areas like Horseshoe Bend and Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon, as well as some other areas represented by the photos below.
This first picture was referred to as Little Cut or the mini wave. The second are some Hoodoos just a few miles out of Page about a mile off the road. The third image was right off the road and a short hike down a hill about 50 miles out of Page.
The forth image is of the Beehive hills. The last is more Hoodoos.

Pics of Antelope Canyon to come

All CC welcomed.

HighPass.jpg

LittleCut20100425_20100425_0384.jpg

VermillionHills20100427_20100427_09.jpg

20100425_0256.jpg

LittleCut20100425_20100425_0499.jpg

Hello Doug and welcome to the forum.

I love the different land forms, it must have been a fun day.

What camera, lens, etc... did you use?
Did you use a filter for any of the photos?

Hello Doug and welcome to the forum.

I love the different land forms, it must have been a fun day.

What camera, lens, etc... did you use?
Did you use a filter for any of the photos?

Thanks, it was a great week actually. I have a Nikon 300s. I used a 10-24 for image #1 & #2 and my 70-300 for image 3 & 4 and my 24-70 for the last image all Nikon lens . I believe I had a circular polarizer for all the shots except for #4.

First Post - Page, AZ

well, let me rip you a new asssssssssshhhhhoooo.............................

Damn, nice shots.

Diggin' #1 all the way.

Unsure about #2

The mid-ground trees in #3 aren't you friend IMO

Not sure about the deep shadows on #4, but nice comp nonetheless

love the textuer of the sand in #5, but waiting judgement otherwise

Thanks for sharing. I love desert shots.

Nice views...

They seem a little soft......... but I'm not on my best monitor.........:D

Your skill level is beyond me, but I love the lines of the first one, and the texture.

Any generic PP tips? No trade secrets, of course. :)

Your skill level is beyond me, but I love the lines of the first one, and the texture.

Any generic PP tips? No trade secrets, of course. :)

Thanks Baaaark, I have a routine I run through on almost every photo, if it improves the image then I'll keep it if it doesn't I delete it;
I shoot in RAW and open in ACR, I always check the histogram (also done in camera too) for blowouts and will apply recovery if the whites are blown or lower blacks if the blacks are blown and or adjust the exposure slider if need be. I also adjust the white balance if needed.

From ACR to PS, I always apply a levels and curves adjustment to spread the tonal value and increase or decrease contrast, if they help I keep them. maybe some dodging or burning with layers/masks and paint brush, and apply an unsharp mask or high pass.

That is a quick recap.

Very nice work. I would have cropped #3 a little differently to make the dead trees more of a focal point and #4 needs a focal point.

Amazing scenery, I'll have to go there (I'm in Cottonwood).

Have Fun,
Jeff

#3 amazing! #1 more depth of field would have rocked the pic. #2 -nd filter or bracketing would have kept the sun from blowing out. All in all awsome!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back