First post, peep my first few pics

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i mean, they are nothing special, i just shot them with a simple old sony p&s, im planing on buying a 30d as soon as i start my job at Ritz Camera. There's sum post processing tho lol

lrad2.jpg

abilukecroped.jpg

edub.jpg

edubgrungy.jpg

can u critic them? or tell me if they are good or whatever? lol thanks! :sexywink:

thought i'd add a few film photo's ive taken also with a canon Ftb. these have no post processing, got them developed at CVS lol, jsut messing around with an old film camera i found at my grandma's attic that had a old 50mm lense on it that hasn't been used since God knows when. all i did in post processing was a little crop.

7ceef0a804ec97b80da1c78e40d7ec92-.jpg

201a38d7a43c10166a29d200c4fff5f3-.jpg

8920944f2a67c6eb1fcef33f84b412f1-.jpg

fff08df89ca34d333a33298c832b374b-.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the soft focus. It reminds me of 1970s fashion ads.

Some of the still lifes are decent, but not spectacular. Sorry it sounds harsh, but spend some time looking at the shots around here. It will raise your standards immensely. Try to learn from it.

I started my photo hobby by starting to work part time at Ritz 11 years ago. I learned a lot about cameras, a lot about photofinishing, and a lot about people. I worked at two different stores before finally moving to a big store in downtown Chicago, Central Camera Co. I learned even more about cameras there, more about people there. But I also spent too much of my paychecks in those stores. I left CCC 9 years ago to go work for my present employer, which is more of a career job.

The coolest thing about working at Ritz was huge commisions at Christmas and half price photofinishing and film prices. That's not a huge deal any more. Keep working on it.

The 1st one: is it a band? The top guy has kind of an odd pose, which looks a little out of place compared to the other guys.

The 2nd portrait in the first post is good, except for the soft focus.

The 3rd would be good too, if she hadn't covered her left eye.

The 4th... I don't know what to think about her environment. It hasn't got anything to do with field hockey; doesn't seem to match her outfit.

In the second set, I kind of like the bottom flower picture. The rest don't do anything for me. The second one is too cluttered. The first one is OK. The third one is actually decent too, but not as good as the fourth.

The Canon Ftb is a great camera. Very durable & simple. Hang onto it and take care of it. Make sure the button battery for the light meter is good and not corroded. I don't know how cold & snowy it gets where you live, but that camera may just save the day when it is cold out.

wow thanks for that long post! :) i hope Ritz calls me back soon so i can start working haha. those were just messing around, the top photo isn't a band, jsut my friends messing around. i want to get a DSLR cause u can do mroe learning with it, cause it costs less to develop pics of just "leaning" shots... i dunno if that came out right, but yeah. thanks.

oh yeah and the feild hockey one, she jsut got back from practice. its in her basement, i made it look al grungy, i was just messign around.

Heya, just x joey, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
I moved this thread of yours from Photo Critique over to our General Gallery, since it does not quite meet the guidelines we have set up for Photo Critique (and which everyone should read before they post in Critique).

As to your photos here: I am not so against the soft focus, actually I quite like it, particularly in Photo 2. Two lovers and soft focus go well together, I feel.

You have a very, very varied style, both in what sort of photos you take and how you process them. Looks quite creative to me!

I like that first photo of your buddies. Funny one. Ys, the one on the top goes a bit over board in being "goofy" for the photo, but I think it adds to the overall "fun (that) was had by all" aspect. And I like the post processing. The vignetting along with the sepia toning gives it a bit of an all-time aspect.

As to the second lot: yes, on that one I tend to agree with Jeremy.

welcome to the forum :)

try to put numbers next to your images so we can more easily refer to them when commenting ;)

for me, the soft focus is too soft. but that is just personal taste ;)

thanks for all your input. haha i feel flattered in a way. usually my friends jsut tell me "ahh i culd do that, all u do is press a button" its nice to have other people who know what they're doing call ur work nice. haha i cant wait till i get a 30d!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back