First post

yellowjeep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nickginther.imagekind.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Where to start... I needed one more class this semester and decided to take digital imaging, which is basicaly a photoshop class but has some pretty heavy photography elements also. It struck a cord with me and now, here I am. I picked up a second hand Sony a100 along with the 18-70 and 70-300 kit lenses for a really nice price. I also just picked up a mint Minolta 50mm f1.7 at a pawn shop for $20.

I want to post a few shots for critique and also ask what would be the best next step in terms of gear, I am thinking that a good flash would be my best bet. Any thoughts?

I am also very big in to bikes, you can click on the photo to see the rest of my newest build.

Reasonable pictures. Low DOF is good - up to a point. Here, I think you took the low DOF is a bit too low. Also, there isn't enough detail and contrast in the cat. It appears to be slightly out of focus.

Reduce your aperture (somewhere between f/2.0 and f/2.8 should be good) and turn up the contrast. Also try to focus them better.

Reasonable pictures. Low DOF is good - up to a point. Here, I think you took the low DOF is a bit too low. Also, there isn't enough detail and contrast in the cat. It appears to be slightly out of focus.

Reduce your aperture (somewhere between f/2.0 and f/2.8 should be good) and turn up the contrast. Also try to focus them better.

Actually those were both shot with the 18-70, which is something like f3.5-5.6.

Edit, something strange to note, when viewing the cat jpeg in Lightroom and Window picture viewer it is a little warmer and a little more saturated, it just looks better. I tried up loading again but the picture still looks dull on Flickr..... I fixed it with flickrs editing tools. It looks the same now.

Great start with a Sony. :thumbsup:

I have the A200.

Lenses are the most important part. Congrats on the Minolta. :]
Flash is probably in my opinion the next. Sony flashes are expensive so be on the lookout for good deals. Make sure you can do bounce with it too.

Thanks, ChickenFriedRyce.
I know that Sony and Minolta Maxxum use a proprietary flash shoe. Could I use an older Minolta flash? Are there any other options that are so pricey?

are you on JeepsUnlimited?

Actually, I think a Minolta flash will do the trick. I just do not think it'll sync at faster shutter speeds. The other flash options from sony are at the least $200. They cost more than that but I don't know the exact price.

Most reactions

Back