first real try at the moon, any C&C welcome

gardy90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.picasaweb.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
had a chance to borrow a few lens's from my uncle while im back in the midwest for leave, took this one with a 300mm f2.8 tamron, since ive never realy tried moon shots before i just started shooting in Aperture Pri using spot metering, manual focus, exposure delay mode, timer, and tripod, this is a day before the official full moon so one side is a bit soft still, overall im happy with the way they came out, any C&C is welcome

DSC_2828.JPG
300mm f/13 shutter= 1/100 iso=200, nikon D90

The photo turned out well.

You have to be real careful with trying to get much more contrast and I don't think you can really get much more, because the young, bright crater Tycho is several stops brighter than the ancient, old Mare.

The only thiong I would suggest is if you're going to put the Moon right in the middle of the image frame, crop it to a square. Otherwise, I'd say crop it so the Moon is slightly closer to one of the upper corners in a rectangular image.

Yep, the Moon is essentially at infinity being about 330,000,000,000,000 feet away from the camera lens, so deep DOF isn't really needed.

F/8 is good so your using the fat part of the glass for good as sharp as the focus can get with 75 miles or so worth of moving atmosphere between you and the Moon.

Which points up the atmosphere is thinnest when you are shooting as close to straight up as possible.

yea like i said i have never done this before but just did my best with what i know, i played with a few different combos of shutter speed and aperture and this was about the best one

I of course must show my latest moon shot!

4634538102_85f76b6250_b.jpg

Settings (IIRC) are around 1/100, f/8, and ISO100. Taken with a 70-200 f/4L IS lens and a 7D. Increased the contrast and sharpened it up in PS, but not too much. Cropped to make it a good desktop size and I'm happy!

I of course must show my latest moon shot!

[picture]

Settings (IIRC) are around 1/100, f/8, and ISO100. Taken with a 70-200 f/4L IS lens and a 7D. Increased the contrast and sharpened it up in PS, but not too much. Cropped to make it a good desktop size and I'm happy!

Why do you always do this? This is the second time I've seen you post a picture of yours in someone's thread. Stop the Thread Hijack :thumbdown:

He asked for CC, not for others to post their own attempts.

As for CC, I like it. A lot better than some other attempts made, especially for a first timer? I haven't gotten a chance to try it because I don't have a lens to pull it off. Good job :)

Most reactions

Back