First Runway show tonight, need some pointers

Pretty much everything bdavison wrote is dead on.

Get there early so you can grab your 'spot' if you don't have an assigned area.
Look at your background when people are there. This is something that can turn your shots to garbage. By that I mean use your DOF accordingly. A lot depends on what type of show it is and what you're shooting for what clients want and where you're shooting from, if you get stuck on a corner the background can be nasty.

Severe DOF sometimes works, sometimes not, I've had clients ask for it, like at hair shows.

The stop/turn is a must shot, get. It's one of those shots, and like bdavison said if they know you're there some will make the effort to look at you.

Shooting runway is like shooting horses, get the feet hitting the ground at the wrong time and it's a bad shot.

Lens choice? There are way to many, I saw a guy shooting with 300 2.8 once, he was shooting shoes only as requested. :lol:

The problem you will run into is how the subject is going to look. I can switch to 35mm zoom length, but my subject will be distorted. I like that look for certain photos, but don't think it's very appropriate for a runway. You want the models to appear tall, skinny...but with a 35mm their torso will look like it has 10 extra lbs on it. That's why so many people suggest using 55mm+ for fashion shows, portraits and fashion photography...

I did not know that,thanks

jerry

Pretty much everything bdavison wrote is dead on.

Get there early so you can grab your 'spot' if you don't have an assigned area.
Look at your background when people are there. This is something that can turn your shots to garbage. By that I mean use your DOF accordingly. A lot depends on what type of show it is and what you're shooting for what clients want and where you're shooting from, if you get stuck on a corner the background can be nasty.

Severe DOF sometimes works, sometimes not, I've had clients ask for it, like at hair shows.

The stop/turn is a must shot, get. It's one of those shots, and like bdavison said if they know you're there some will make the effort to look at you.

Shooting runway is like shooting horses, get the feet hitting the ground at the wrong time and it's a bad shot.

Lens choice? There are way to many, I saw a guy shooting with 300 2.8 once, he was shooting shoes only as requested. :lol:

Few were asking if I was going to be there at the end of the runway and if I had a card for website where they can see pics. When I told them I didn't have a website or a card, their interest vanished.

I have a potential Spring Fashion Show next week on Thursday. I doubt I will be able to get my site going by then, but I am sure I can get some temporary business cards made directing them to either my Model Mayhem or Flickr accounts, and just let them know that regular site is under construction. At least they will have something from me that ensures my images are seen.

More than likely I will shoot with wider angle this time around to get the full outfit. Will do second curtain sync on the flash, and slow down the shutter as much as possible without sacrificing sharpness.

I don't really have a real client. My friend who writes for examiner is mostly interested with backstage pictures of models getting ready, etc. The runway is just me and my own interests. I want to get better at it.

Oh and I have more pics up on my flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavlikphoto/sets/72157616964880205/

On the pictures in my flickr I used ISO400. I checked exif data on few pictures from other photographers, and they were shooting in the ISO800, with speeds around 1/100 and one had 40mm focal length on 20D Canon.

Next weeks show will be in a much smaller building, so I think shooting at 35mm or so will work best. I will also be inf3.5-4 range, so I may have to either bump up my ISO or slow down the shutter below 1/100.

On the pictures in my flickr I used ISO400. I checked exif data on few pictures from other photographers, and they were shooting in the ISO800, with speeds around 1/100 and one had 40mm focal length on 20D Canon.

Next weeks show will be in a much smaller building, so I think shooting at 35mm or so will work best. I will also be inf3.5-4 range, so I may have to either bump up my ISO or slow down the shutter below 1/100.

Don't be afraid to use higher ISO, a photo that has a little noise is much better than an underexposed or blurry photo. I have printed 8x10, and 8x12's shot at 1600 and even 3200.(20D) With no noise reduction they are pretty good. If I run them Through NoiseWare, they look freaking good and can go even larger. Now to get good results you do need to NAIL the focus, and a good sharp lens does help quite a bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back