First self-portrait, C&C please.

- there's not enough light... noisy photos, but that can be ok if you figure out how to use noise to your advantage
- there are more problems with light also, go try natural light outside
- wb is completely off and it's difficult to fix it because you don't have anything white to place white point on. I tried with the black point and it's better but not that good
- why not to convert the photo in bw? I did that with #7 and it looks fine. It's better then everything else I tried
- your teeth are really nice I envy you, perfectly shaped :) (not talking about color because even the whitest teeth in this conditions would be yellow - I select teeth, put them in their own layer, desaturate yellow and mask the rest out, that way you get the teeth look more naturally )
- Idk why but I thought you were a skinny small boy with black short hair
- #2 and 7 are my favorites
- it's nice to see you, to put the face behind the words
- we have similar hair quality :)
- selfportraits are difficult, I'm trying to gather the courage to post a picture of me but still can't do it .. maybe I will do it in a few days...anyway, these are very good for the first try and nice to meet you!

Wonderful, wonderful C&C!!!
I knew they would be noisy when I was taking them, I was shooting at high ISO (high for a T3i) and it gets very noisy. I tried reducing the noise but it softened it to much.
I didn't think to set a custom WB until after the fact. And they were much warmer, and I cooled them down.
For the teeth I selected them in LR and dropped the saturation, and raised exposure a little. I will try and remember how you said to do it.

Nope, I'm not a " skinny small boy with black short hair" I'm 6'1" 265lb, and have never cut my hair in all my life. :801:
I posted one of these photos somewhere else, and someone said "Wow, bad hair day" I told him that it was a great hair day, and he should see me when I've been out working in the wind!:biglaugh:
As for taking the photo of yourself, just do it! Don't think about it and just take it!!! :)
So I can finally "meet you". :1219:

I think that you did a nice job here! You've received some excellent ideas on how to improve next time, so I won't start repeating.

My favorite is 3 as a portrait, but honestly, I really like 2! Its kind of quirky and lets us in on your personality! The woody background compliments nicely I think, and the DOF is nice enough to isolate you from the wood. Nice job! I can't wait to see where you take this next.

I think that you did a nice job here! You've received some excellent ideas on how to improve next time, so I won't start repeating.

My favorite is 3 as a portrait, but honestly, I really like 2! Its kind of quirky and lets us in on your personality! The woody background compliments nicely I think, and the DOF is nice enough to isolate you from the wood. Nice job! I can't wait to see where you take this next.

Thanks! :)
I was very happy with the result, and it was a great learning experience.

I rather like the first one, it seems real, honest. And I kind of like the one with the head bowed, seems thoughtful And the one with your dog is the one that made me smile.

I rather like the first one, it seems real, honest. And I kind of like the one with the head bowed, seems thoughtful And the one with your dog is the one that made me smile.

That's Harvey, he makes everyone smile! :)

Thanks!

I posted one of these photos somewhere else, and someone said "Wow, bad hair day" I told him that it was a great hair day, and he should see me when I've been out working in the wind!:biglaugh:

He doesn't have a clue about hair!!!!

I'm 32 and as long as I remember my father has been asking me "Did you brush your hair?"

Last edited:

He doesn't have a clue about hair!!!!

I'm 32 and as long as I remember my father has been asking me "Did you brush your hair?"

:biglaugh:With me it's my sister, always asking me that the exact same thing:76:!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
But her hair is really straight!

You destroyed my illusions - I thought your profile pic was a selfie. :(

I like #2 best. Good job on all of them in challenging circumstances. :)

You destroyed my illusions - I thought your profile pic was a selfie. :(

I like #2 best. Good job on all of them in challenging circumstances. :)

The profile pic is what I hope to be someday! :biggrin-93:

Thanks for the compliment! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back