What's new

First Set of Pics and first time shooting manual

kindred_fp

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here and just attempted to take my first few shots with manual setting this weekend. Minor processing done in iPhoto. Was hoping for critique on everything.

Thanks

1. Three Vases



2. Curious George



3. My Kettlebells

 
Last edited:
Can't see any pictures.
 
Well, I see the pictures. That's always a good start. Nice shots. Looks OK to me.
 
C&C coming right up!

In all three, your backgrounds are cluttered and therefore distracting. Learn to consider the background in every shot.

#1 adjust white balance. Others are o.k.

To "fix" these shots, you might be able to improve them somewhat by cropping the backgrounds out. Or mostly out. Crop them severely and see if it helps.
 
I think they a great for you first go manual :) . Everyone always says no background but I don't mind your backgrounds.
George is very cute. It's got to be my favourite.
 
C&C coming right up!

In all three, your backgrounds are cluttered and therefore distracting. Learn to consider the background in every shot.

#1 adjust white balance. Others are o.k.

To "fix" these shots, you might be able to improve them somewhat by cropping the backgrounds out. Or mostly out. Crop them severely and see if it helps.

Now that I can see the pictures, I say ^^^this. Overall quite nice, but some distracting elements in the background. Though I say don't crop too closely and maybe just reshoot. For the first picture, move the chair out of the way. In the second, I like the fireplace in the background, but there's something making a brightly colored reflection and I find myself spending more time trying to figure out what it is than I do looking at the subject. For the third, it's trickier. You get rid of whatever wooden handle that is but there are other distracting items that might not be as easy to remove. Maybe play with the angle to reduce the clutter.

I like the dof in all of them, and the lighting in the first two is nice. White balance in first one, like Designer said, but otherwise fine. Second is nice and even. Third one is a bit harsh and you get that hot spot on the front kettlebell.
 
First one looks like it has a white balance issue maybe try removing some of that yellow tint. Second one is cool but I would straighten out the fireplace in the background looks like it's leaning to the left.
 
Thanks for all the comments. I think next step for me is read up about white balance. I didnt crop any of the pictures above but I think it is something I should play with as well.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom