First shooting, beach in Surrey, BC (C&C)

Yantropov

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It was my first time going out with my D7000... I only shooted with my 16-85mm as I did not receive my 35mm 1.8 yet. Next buy will be a 70-300mm. I want to learn so please, be honest! I understand that you wont comments on all of them, sorry for the number.

View attachment 5232
$062.JPG
$042.jpg
$096.jpg
$092.JPG

Last edited:
What exposure settings did you use for them? I like the first photo.
One note - watch your horizons, in particular if you look at your second shot the horizon is pretty crooked.

I know, I need to fix that problem. Here is the info for my first shot:

File: 062.JPG

Device: Nikon D7000
Lens: VR 16-85mm F/3,5-5,6G
Focal Length: 16mm
Focus Mode: AF-S
AF-Area Mode: Single
VR: ON
AF Fine Tune: OFF
Exposure
Aperture: F/3,5
Shutter Speed: 1/2500s
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Comp.: +1,0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100
Flash
Device:
Image Settings
White Balance: Shade, 0, 0
Color Space: sRGB
High ISO NR: ON (Normal)
Long Exposure NR: OFF
Active D-Lighting: OFF
Image Authentication:
Vignette Control:
Auto Distortion Control: OFF
Picture Control
Picture Control: [SD] STANDARD
Base: [SD] STANDARD

Shooting a higher f-stop might help the picture look more crisp. Shooting in Aperture mode between f/8 and f/16 and let the camera choose shutter speed.
I really like the last shot, looks like dog is walking the man :mrgreen:

For landscape shots, it's often better/nice to have something in the foreground (close to the camera). For example, the one where the camera looks to have been down low, close to the beach, is one of the better shots because of it. The others just look like you were standing there and decided to snap a shot.

So if you're shooting a beach scene like this, try to find something somewhat interesting and compose your shot so that it's in the foreground. it gives the shot some 'grounding' so that the viewer's eye can 'walk' into the scene.

Thanks for the tip guys... I feel like a sponge, I've been absorbing all the suggestions and it definetly helps. My eye is getting used to the horizon specially, when you start you don't pay too much attention but after a while, it pops up very fast. I also see a tic tac toe display in my pictures now... :)

Most reactions

Back