First Solo Wedding

FocusPocus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tomorrow I am shooting my first solo wedding. I have assisted a well known photographer in my area with other weddings but despite that I am still very nervous to be solely responsible for getting all the images. I'm even more worried about it because the forecast calls for a 70% of rain! Anyone out there have any useful tips/tricks for successful wedding and/or poor weather photography? I'd really appreciate it!

Shoot indoors (duh), bounce the hell outta your strobe(s).
Put the bride up against the window looking out for a nice solo shot
do the same with the grrom, but looksing at the camera.

I'd shoot at f/1.4 if possible, just to destroy what you can out of the background, if you're shooting more than one person at 1.4, make sure they're side-by-side so both are in focus...

Bring gaff tape, clothespins, band-aids, tissues, and breath mints..

Dress well..

Bring more cards and batteries than you'll ever need

Be positive when giving instruction, don't ever EVER say "hmm.." or "not quite feeling it" or "that didn't work"..Instead say "That looks great, now just do....." and "i've got an idea, lets try......"

Keep it simple, three lenses.. 4 tops. 16-35, 50 1.4, and a 70-200. Maybe an 85mm...

If they're a fat couple, make the space they're in huge and make them tiny in the frame..

If they're skinny twist their bodies to get some curve in them..

If you feel like you're stressed or overwhelmed, slow down and breathe. Litterally. Stop what you're doing, breathe a bit, and gather your wits.

If you're afraid of getting photog's block, make a posing cheat sheet, print it at Kinkos, and tape it to the bottom of the camera (or the back like I do on my film cameras). Use it as reference when you don't remember how to pose people. This has saved my butt ALOT..

Make a short list to reference of the REALLY important shots, just so you don't forget.

EAT A DAMN GOOD BREAKFAST. Chances are you'll get fed...sometimes you don't, and 8-12 hours of working and sweating your a$$ off without eating sucks.

Most reactions

Back