First stab at photography

Emmet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi just joined been using my dads Canon EOS400D with a 18-55mm lense (im only 14 so cant afford my own :(
Anyway tell me what you think of these.

2541919340_08927c1816.jpg

2540879539_e134f44bbd.jpg

2542070542_2bfb6db353.jpg

I like #2 &3 with 3 being the best imo. 1 is to bown out , takes away from the subjects. Keep in mind I am new to this as well....... #3 the eyes are very cool and caught my attention first. Keep at it..........

Welcome to the site - a good start to shooting if I may say so, but there is some room for improvement.
Firstly what settings was the camera set to - what mode and also ISO, apature and shutter speed (right click on your original file and it should have the data in the properties). I would say that most people shoot in apature priority mode (ap on the camera dial) for a lot of the time.

The first shows interesting interaction between the subjects, but there is too much light - its comming from the right angle (behind you and onto what you are shooting) but its too much. In these cases I would advice compensating your exposure to -1.

The second - to me - is the best of the set. Colours are bright and viabrant, with a lack of centre posing of the subject (often hard to remember to do when shooting). only a small amount of white overexposuere on the dogs head which is not too distracting. You also appear to have used a fine apature (read bigger f number) to get details from the front to the back of the shot. Typically most wildlife shots are in the lower f numbers (larger apatures) region - but this works very well in this shot of yours

The third captures an important element when photographing wildlife in geneal - and that is eye contact bewteen the subject and the photographer. A little blurry when compared to shot 2 (which is very sharp) which makes me think that a certain cat was moving possibly at the time. For a moving target I would advise boosting your ISO to 400 or even 800 in some cases.

Good first shots you appear to be going for a more compositional approach rather than snapshotty approach which is a good start - now to perster dad to show you how to change all those settings (if he don't know then ask up ;))

Totally agree with the above. Number 2 immediatley grabbed my attention. I think its a well composed shot of a rather cheeky looking dog :)

Look forward to seeing more shots.

Most reactions

Back