What's new

first time at fireworks

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 18, 2012
Messages
2,689
Reaction score
337
Location
Old Town, ME
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was practicing on the moon tonight and people started popping fireworks. So I hit the trigger and swung over (man I love this head on my tripod...lol), and tried to catch some. Only 3 more popped off, so this is what I got. Ok I guess for 1st time. Need to find focus better and apparently faster.

Didn't really bother editing as they were spur of the moment. I could go in and adjust to remove the speckles and power lines that showed in one of them, maybe later.


7476251374_9a5860a5ba_c.jpg











7476275738_867939d3c4_c.jpg










7476250666_f3b8a9b8b8_c.jpg
 
Last edited:
Once you get bored, do a long shutter and change the focus and zoom during exposure. Check out this video I did just to mess around. I didnt change the focal length though.

[video]https://vimeo.com/25995070[/video]
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #4
Cool info guys, thanks.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #5
Pretty cool vid. Nice idea.
 
Just manually focus at infinity.
Aperture changes how thick the lines appear.

Really? The thickness of the lines is controlled mostly how much they are out of focus. It will be thicker if they are out of focus. If they are in focus, the aperture wont affect it IMO.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #7
What I did was I just set focus to where I thought it would be, had it in bulb mode, and once the initial shot went shooting up, I held shutter until the last glow was gone. And that's what I got. lol. No idea what to do, so that made sense to me at the time.
 
What I did was I just set focus to where I thought it would be, had it in bulb mode, and once the initial shot went shooting up, I held shutter until the last glow was gone. And that's what I got. lol. No idea what to do, so that made sense to me at the time.

You did it right. Just focus manually to infinity and then turn it back a tad. Or what I typically do is use live view and just manually focus it looking at the screen.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #9
Ok, cool. If they had popped more, I was going to try to catch one to focus on. I had initially put to infinity, then pulled back...but I think I pulled back not enough as they were not that far away, kinda like 3 blocks maybe.

I'll definitely revisit this obviously on the 4th. lol.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom