First Time DSLR Buyer - Please help with lens setup!

miltowndreamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I've been looking at the canon t2i and canon t3i and am a bit indecisive between the two and I think either will meet my needs so I think I'll go with the cheaper t2i.

However, my main issue is with the lenses. I'm huge into cityscape photography so I've learned that a wide lens is very helpful in doing so. I'm very interested in the Sigma 10-20mm as it's within my price range for the most part. But, I figure that should not be my only lens. Should I go with the stock lens and sigma 10-20mm or the sigma 10-20mm and the 50mm f1.8 II? Or some other lens set-up? My budget for camera + lenses is 1k and under hopefully as I'm a current college student.

Any help is very much appreciated!

It all depends on what you plan to shoot
If you were comparing 2 or 3 similar lenses (brand, specs etc) that would be easier and fair for us to answer, however you are comparing a truck, to a plane to a skateboard kind of thing.....ok, you get the idea

I want to shoot city skylines and urban photography. I'm a bit of a newbie so I'm kind of just looking for a general lens set that will get that done.

Personally I would say get the camera and the kit lens that comes with it. Then get out there and shoot - find out how the kit lens performs for you. Is it wide enough - too wide - not long enough etc.... Once you've some experience and can start to understand how you like to and want to shoot you can start to make choice on further lenses to add to your setup. Without that experience its hard to make the choice because you've no experience to base your choices off.

That sounds like a very solid idea. I just want to make sure I'm getting the best thing for my money, and the stock very well might be it.

Also, what else do you guys suggest? Are filters necessary for my lens to have it last longer? Tripod?

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back