First Time Gym Event

j4z_sn4pz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Got a shoot this Saturday of this Capoeira event and I just found out today it will be in a gym.

I've never shot in a gym before so i'm looking for a few tips.

I'll be using a d200 with an 18-70 3.5 and was thinking to just throw one of my yn460s on it with a lightsphere diffuser. y/n?

All I see online is to shoot high ISO, and that is a pet peeve of mine.

Anyone have any tips/experience shooting in gym?

Thank ya

Just googled it and can remember seeing it years ago on a programe, from what i remember it was fast moving so you have no chance with that lens without using about ISO 800 with flash shooting wide open, the higher ISO will let in some ambient so the background will not be very dark,don't worry about going to iso1600 if you want the background even lighter because when using flash they don't seem as noisy and noise is better than blur
This was shot with a studio flash bounced off the ceiling at ISO1250
792737034_uLhPr-L.jpg

Any event in a gym can be tough, especially if you are limited by the gear you have. You might consider pushing the ISO a little bit and getting noise reduction software to help in processing.

Is renting a lens an option?

Can you describe the event? Is the event taking place with all the gym lights on, where is this gym (professional venue or a smaller school gym)?

it's just a fast paced martial arts with dancing etc. here is the gym,

YMCA Boynton Beach - DeVos-Blum Family

My big debate is to bring flashes or not and to shoot with one on the camera but i'll figure out i guess haha

I would think if you are going to be very close to the action you might to ask whoever is doing the event about the use of flash. I know courtside photogs of say a basketball game are not aloowed to use flash since it could interfer with the players.

Watching a video on the event your going to be doing where they do jump into the air at times I would think if the flash catches a flash during mid move it could cause them to miss the landing possibly injuring the person.

Its what the guy with the "Fro" in Tekken did. :lol:

Make sure flash is allowed and not frowned upon. If it is, buy or rent a 2.8 zoom, or ideally a 50 1.4

Most reactions

New Topics

Back