First time out with new lens!

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After a long drawn out decision over which lens to buy with my poker money I decided on the Canon 100-400L.

These are a couple of shots from my first day with it :)

So I'm totally in love with this lens. I tried it out on some pretty rough lighting situations and I'm pretty darn happy with the results.

I'm going to use it for a few days before I share all of my thoughts on the purchase but suffice it to say so far I'm tickled pink!!

Today I got up and went for a walk about the property to get a bit more of a feel for the lens, it is going to take a while to get used to the push pull zoom (I won't bore you with the test shots I took). Later in the day Mr. Rabbit and I went over to a local conservation area.

At this place there is a building that houses all of these "rescue" birds. I actually find it quite sad because these guys don't appear to ever get to leave these plywood "pens" with only one open end. It was overcast outside and I could only get "enough" light when they came right up to the front of their enclosures, it was a challenge to be far enough away and get over the side looking just about straight down at them. They were also taken through a heavy square mesh. I chose these mainly because of the colours (everything else outside is still very blah) Some nicer light to get more depth will be nice, these are a bit flat as expected under these light conditions.

1/320 F6.3 ISO1250

This guy was all fanned out and doing his best to impress the little lady in the pen with him.

Since yellow is such a brutal colour I had to try this guy out.

Pixel, glad you are enjoying the new lens. I have had one for about 5 years now, it has been to Africa twice, Florida three times and the Albuquerque balloon festival once. As well, it has had plenty of use locally. It has never disappointed me. You will get used to the push-pull thing very soon. I am looking forward to seeing more of your 100-400 pics. These look like a good start.

WesternGuy

Awesome lens, borrowed one a few months ago, now I dream of it nightly

Very nice!

Congrats! Nice pics too. I'm contemplating Nikon's version.

Judi, for a crappy day, those are pretty good. Now you have me lusting for a similar lens. Howeva, I do not "need" one for my usual photographic subjects, so it'll have to be lust unrequited. But please, continue showing us yours!

Thanks everyone!

Western, yes it will take a bit to get used to how to hold it and the push pull but I think once I get past "thinking" about operating the lens and just enjoying it it will be totally amazing :)

Sounds like a nice lens, PR... Cool! I actually miss push / pull lenses! I always thought the system made sense, especially back in the manual focus days.

Most reactions

Back