Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Return detected X-Resolution 72 dpi Y-Resolution 72 dpi 6
Exposure Program Aperture-priority
Max Aperture Value 1.7
Metering Mode Multi-segment
Light Source Unknown
Information overload, but some useful bits. Why are you shooting at 1/60s? I don't know what the x-synch on the D3000 is, but at a guess it's at least 1/200s. The shutter speed controls the ambient light. If you're in a normal indoor situation using the flash, x-synch is your baseline and deviate from there. Less shutter speed to brighten up the background. Hang on.... you have a native ISO of 100 with the D3000? Awesome.

I just don't appreciate your first comment that added absolutely NOTHING to the thread. I'm glad you finally offered some advice, but I could do without the 'drilling' of me aka.
It's my demise. I felt your first attempt was less than spectacular and was hoping for another submisssion once you found your feet with the flash unit. Another couple of weeks would have been perfectly acceptable for a second attempt. I'm not quite so sure what bug got up your nose on this.

It's obvious you've been around here for a while and after looking at your shots, you have a lot of talent. All I ask is for a little tact while offering your opinion, thats all.
First off, I suggest you make an appointment with your eye doctor because you obviously have been viewing someone elses images while thinking you are looking at mine. Hmmm, perhaps it's not the eye doctor you immediately need to see rather than a physco-therapist. I take crap shots mostly and every once in a while I get a ringer.

But to answer your questions, I did a lot of research (seeing settings of others, etc) and reading up on 'on camera' and 'off camera' flash before placing my order. I did slap that 'puppy' on there, but also skimmed the manual while playing with settings.

Anyways, thanks for your comments.
My suggestion is not to skim the manual, but absorb it. When you get to a point that is utterly confusing...... ask a freaking question. Old farts like myself appreciate people doing their due diligence in their own research. Once that has been established, an opened book of information is before you.

Cuuuuute pics!!! And I most def. understand ab using your flash before reading the manual. Whenever I get my next piece of equipment, it will be USED first and the manual read later once some of my excitement has subsided, hahaaa!

exif data on wife picture:
Camera Nikon D3000
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/2.5
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Return detected X-Resolution 72 dpi Y-Resolution 72 dpi 6
Exposure Program Aperture-priority
Max Aperture Value 1.7
Metering Mode Multi-segment
Light Source Unknown
Information overload, but some useful bits. Why are you shooting at 1/60s? I don't know what the x-synch on the D3000 is, but at a guess it's at least 1/200s. The shutter speed controls the ambient light. If you're in a normal indoor situation using the flash, x-synch is your baseline and deviate from there. Less shutter speed to brighten up the background. Hang on.... you have a native ISO of 100 with the D3000? Awesome.

I just don't appreciate your first comment that added absolutely NOTHING to the thread. I'm glad you finally offered some advice, but I could do without the 'drilling' of me aka.
It's my demise. I felt your first attempt was less than spectacular and was hoping for another submisssion once you found your feet with the flash unit. Another couple of weeks would have been perfectly acceptable for a second attempt. I'm not quite so sure what bug got up your nose on this.

It's obvious you've been around here for a while and after looking at your shots, you have a lot of talent. All I ask is for a little tact while offering your opinion, thats all.
First off, I suggest you make an appointment with your eye doctor because you obviously have been viewing someone elses images while thinking you are looking at mine. Hmmm, perhaps it's not the eye doctor you immediately need to see rather than a physco-therapist. I take crap shots mostly and every once in a while I get a ringer.

But to answer your questions, I did a lot of research (seeing settings of others, etc) and reading up on 'on camera' and 'off camera' flash before placing my order. I did slap that 'puppy' on there, but also skimmed the manual while playing with settings.

Anyways, thanks for your comments.
My suggestion is not to skim the manual, but absorb it. When you get to a point that is utterly confusing...... ask a freaking question. Old farts like myself appreciate people doing their due diligence in their own research. Once that has been established, an opened book of information is before you.

You are completely out of line with all of your posts in this thread. The OP was asking for help and was excited to share a couple photos. Your responses are ignorant and not needed. I wish this forum had a negative reputation rating system, you would have gotten one from me.

You are completely out of line with all of your posts in this thread. The OP was asking for help and was excited to share a couple photos. Your responses are ignorant and not needed. I wish this forum had a negative reputation rating system, you would have gotten one from me.

Thanks, I was starting to think I was being oversensitive. I love this site, but some of the rude comments w/o providing any help, is getting old.

Although these are overexposed, you can also use these images w/ some retouching and would look really good. And as you said its your first time playing w/ flash. W/ pratcie you shall be better

Most reactions

Back