First time posting portraits - Feedback wanted

skiboarder72

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshjonesphoto.com
Hello, I had a chance to shoot some portraits for one of my friends the other day, It was really sunny so I tried to keep her in the shade and used a fill flash to help balance the scene... just looking for some feedback and some techniques I can use to help make these better (I'm shooting a wedding later this year) thank you!!

dsc00618cu.jpg

dsc00697uf.jpg

dsc00770lw.jpg

dsc01143xu.jpg

dsc01232ns.jpg

dsc00261np.jpg

dsc00202rc.jpg

The first and the last are my favourites. In #2 and #3 you could have used more fill flash.

The last frame captured such a candid moment and the exposure level on your subject is really nice.

Darken your bright backgrounds. Use aperture to control the flash, and shutter to control the background.

Good work. The subject seems comfortable. Arguably, that is half the battle. Technically; I am guessing meter on center weighted or center average. Post the file info and we can help further.

Pattern metered according to the EXIF.

I'd agree with Matt here - you were nearly wide open at f2.8 50mm, which is perfect for this type of portrait. However, I'd say try and switch it to 100 ISO and manually bring the shutter speed down and the flash up to darken the BG.

A great job though - they're good and it's only a couple of areas which could be slightly improved.

I'd thoroughly recommend a gold or silver or white reflector for this kind of work - it helps boost the light levels subtley and darken the bg.

Rob

Most reactions

Back