First time posting.. "The Bride".

premo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy all,

I'm a newbie that is getting very frustrated with the results of my work. This new expensive hobby is driving me up the wall.
And with the the gear I have (and I got all of it for a bargain from another hobbiest that gave up) , I was expecting better results. But give up I will NOT, so watch out.

Please c&c.

Regards, $IMG_2418.JPG

Good title.

I like the horizontal orientation of the smoke.

I can see there is a dim wisp of smoke there in the mostly blank space on the left, but I don't think it is really adding to the image.

I would crop a lot of the blank space away. That would give the subject more scale in the frame.

As just one interpretation I added some red, cropped, and added some black canvas at the bottom:

$IMG_2418Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy all,

I'm a newbie that is getting very frustrated with the results of my work. This new expensive hobby is driving me up the wall.
And with the the gear I have (and I got all of it for a bargain from another hobbiest that gave up) , I was expecting better results. But give up I will NOT, so watch out.

It is unclear what you are disappointed with.
An L lens gives fine results and the exposure seems OK.
What is it that you expect, did not get and want?

Lew

Your 1st picture post is a good effort, but as already said, there is just too much dead space to the left. The KMH's crop is a more pleasing picture to view. Whether or not the red was added makes no real difference to me. Actually, I would have preferred to leave all the smoke in the smokish color.

Exactly what are your frustrations? What are your goals?

Like you, this is a hobby, not a vocation for me. I do this for relaxation and enjoyment from the stresses of work, home, and family. I'm serious about creating good, solid work, and try my best each time I go out for a shoot. I'm my biggest critique. I do tend to stay within my comfort zones, and shoot what I like, and what I'm comfortable with.

I like the horizontal orientation of the smoke.

I can see there is a dim wisp of smoke there in the mostly blank space on the left, but I don't think it is really adding to the image.

I would crop a lot of the blank space away. That would give the subject more scale in the frame.

As just one interpretation I added some red, cropped, and added some black canvas at the bottom:

View attachment 3717
KMH, I really appreciate your input.
The wimp of smoke to the left looked like a veil to me.
Hopefully soon I will be able to do what you did to make it "pop".

Howdy all,

It is unclear what you are disappointed with.
An L lens gives fine results and the exposure seems OK.
What is it that you expect, did not get and want?

Lew

I was mainly disappointed in myself for believing that with descent gear anything is possible.
I think that I've tried too hard to do too many things before I even knew how to work my camera (settings, etc).
Perfect example is when in December I decided to shoot the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Plaza. For a week or so I read and researched "how to" shoot in those conditions and I practiced. To make a long story short,..my wife had far more better pictures with her point & shoot. All and all I have failed in most of my weekend projects. So, I have packed up everything and I'm picking up my camera "manuel".

I was mainly disappointed in myself for believing that with descent gear anything is possible.
I think that I've tried too hard to do too many things before I even knew how to work my camera (settings, etc).
Perfect example is when in December I decided to shoot the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Plaza. For a week or so I read and researched "how to" shoot in those conditions and I practiced. To make a long story short,..my wife had far more better pictures with her point & shoot. All and all I have failed in most of my weekend projects. So, I have packed up everything and I'm picking up my camera "manuel".
[/FONT]

Actually, that's the 1st place you should have started. It's just like buying a new car with all the new electronics, doesn't do you any good if you don't know where the controls are, nor how to use them. Take it one step at a time, and you'll get comfortable with your camera settings, and what each one does. then you can start to explore the world of photography, and that should be with the exposure triangle: Aperture/Shutter/ISO.

Your 1st picture post is a good effort, but as already said, there is just too much dead space to the left. The KMH's crop is a more pleasing picture to view. Whether or not the red was added makes no real difference to me. Actually, I would have preferred to leave all the smoke in the smokish color.

Exactly what are your frustrations? What are your goals?

Like you, this is a hobby, not a vocation for me. I do this for relaxation and enjoyment from the stresses of work, home, and family. I'm serious about creating good, solid work, and try my best each time I go out for a shoot. I'm my biggest critique. I do tend to stay within my comfort zones, and shoot what I like, and what I'm comfortable with.

Joel,

Just like you I try my very best every weekend I plan a project. Most of the projects have failed.
From the time I got my camera, I started running instead of crawling. I would see an image, like it and then order whatever was needed to create that image. But now I know better. Just like you suggested, I will try things I'm comfortable with.
I even thought about taking some classes, but with my work schedule (night shift), I'm only have time on weekends.
Right now I'm mostly into macro, portrait and landscape, but my goal is to better understand my camera and it's possibilities.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back