First time with a speedlite, off camera flash

The one thing that immediately jumps out on all three is the need for a reflector camera left. Lotta shadows, needed some light bounced back.

The 2nd image takes the focus from the other two in my eyes, just because backlight like that just do not work for me. Sometimes it actually do work, but not when just putting a flash behind the subject like that. It just looks like a bright white thing that do not belong in the image. And to make matters worse, we can clearly see the tripod beside the tree. I like the first one best. Shadows looks a bit too sharp in the last one. I just started using off-camera flash my self, so I want to be a bit careful to criticize others...but you asked for harsh honest opinions! ;)

I think they have good compositions but the lighting needs some work. I noticed in general you seem to be in a location that doesn't have much if any ambient light available. When shooting under trees or in forest I usually look for an area where there's that beautiful sun coming in through the trees. Then you can use your flash as more of a fill and use the diffused sun as your key light. This will get rid of the harsh shadows mentioned. Especially the ones on her white shirt. Keep at it though good first try.

Most reactions

Back